myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Car stolen at Berkeley marina Sun Oct 18
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
us44eric

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BajaVaya wrote:
us44eric wrote:
BajaVaja, AndyMc, and all,

Good points, ideas, and things to think about, but also ---

*Any thoughts about a *Pedal Lock?
It locks your (brake?) pedal in place. I think it locks around your pedal and braces against the angled floor behind the pedal.

(This is what I was trying to ask about in my previous post.)

Not familiar with that gadget. Sounds like a great solution if it fits your transporter. Who makes it?

I have one that is a "club" like rod that goes between the steering wheel and brake pedal -- works like a champ on my VW Baja Bug when I sail or go into SQ for provisions. Dissuaded a pair of pincha muchachos who went through the unlocked bug and stole a bag they thought had my wallet and keys -- just had 2 old rash guards, which was still a nuisance. The tool box was too heavy for them to carry but the basic tools were too primitive to break the club. Now I park in front of Marge Melville's house (end of the road between the 2 houses) near the Old Pier on Bahia SQuintin. She has 3 loud dogs and a cell phone with the Policia Federal, a mile away, on speed dial (very accommodating and helpful folks, but they don't seem to have heard of Miranda or victim's rights; from what the locals say, their philosophy tends to be that criminals should be given a healthy dose of what any self-respecting Mex dad omitted from his son's education). Marge, who owns Los Olivos campground, advises that other solo sailors do the same.

BajaVaja and all,
I'm not sure who makes this pedal lock. I've mostly just heard about it. I did get a quick glance at one at a Kragen Auto Parts, but I was in a hurry at the time. So unfortunately I can't describe it in more detail than I already have. In the meantime, if anyone else has thoughts about this pedal lock, we're all ears.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brake pedal locks have always concerned me because they apply 24/7 pressure to a hydraulic system, begging for a pool of brake fluid on the street. I don't know whether that concern is justified.

I just have a high-end, multi-sensor, multi-disabling-mode (e.g., fuel pressure, ignition power, and starter), paging, security system installed, + a Lojack clone on my present WS rig. I add a mechanical kill switch, and would add an RFID device (you wave a key fob in front of it to enable the ignition) if I traveled or lived in any large city. I installed simple manual dead-bolts on all the doors of my last WS van. At home I park indoors.

Unfortunately, my present state has different laws than my previous state, which allows citizens to use deadly force to stop car thieves or burglars. They were safe only if they could outrun the bullets. (My guess is that if I yelled at them in Washington, I'd be prosecuted for frightening them. Oh, well ... the WSing is good. Wink )

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: