myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
South Padre Island (SPI)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jiberdaddy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: South Padre Island (SPI) Reply with quote

Looking for a somewhat tropical spot to get away.

A few questions about SPI,

1. Is SPI considered "tropical" by the same token as say Bonaire or Aruba, or more on the Corpus/BIB scale?

2. We would be flying into Brownsville without gear, hotelling and renting a car. Is Windsurf Inc a nice spot to sail from for 2 weeks of flatwater, or where would vacationers schlep rental gear (tied to a mainstream rental car, or other suggested rentals)?

3. Is it worth non-wave sailors trying to learn waves on the gulf side?
markpaine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: South Padre Island (SPI) Reply with quote

jiberdaddy wrote:
1. Is SPI considered "tropical" by the same token as say Bonaire or Aruba, or more on the Corpus/BIB scale?

80% of the time: Wind blows in from the south and you'll be in boardshorts. I lived in Bonaire for 2 years--it's not quite *that* tropical, but it's plenty warm. I'm usually on 5.8/105 in flat water freestyle mode those days, occasionally smaller. Others are usually rigged bigger.

20%: A front comes through and it turns around to blow from the north. Most people prefer full wetsuit. Usually I'm on 3.5/65 those days (no kidding).

jiberdaddy wrote:
Assuming renting from Windsurf Inc is that a good spot to sail from for 2 weeks of flatwater

Yes. Every other option sucks unless you were to drive there with your gear (my option).

jiberdaddy wrote:
Is it worth non-wave sailors trying to learn waves on the gulf side?

Maybe, but more than likely not. You need a slightly rare SW (instead of just S) day. You can get a pretty clean, good-sized wave down at the south end of the island just NE of the jetty, but it can have a pretty heavy shorebreak, so there's a good chance you'll get pounded. Not that that's such a terrible thing, but the chances of getting one of those *good* days is fairly slim, and probably not worth the extra logistical effort.

But most of the time, the gulf side is a pretty sloppy mess (in November anyway).
jibemeister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurf Inc. has a shadowed launch.

The flats are way better and you can rent gear on site.

http://www.windsurftheboatyard.com/

Contact Jibber he's one of the nicest people you will ever meet.

Jibber@WindsurfTheBoatyard.com

956 761 5061
rlshirey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: SPI is good flat water sailing Reply with quote

The only two WS rental places I know of is Windsurf Inc and Boatyard run by Jibber. At Windsurf Inc you rent gear from their shop on the water and sail out from their beach. It is within the developed part of the island and as a result there are wind shadows near shore. If you rent from Jibber, he loads the gear you want on a trailer and takes it out to the "flats", where most of the local windsurfs sail. There are no wind shadows or any other protection from the sun and wind. The normal thermal wind is from the SW and is generally warm. The northeastern storms, 5% of the time, are cool to cold and I wear a full wet suit. 30 mph is common for a northeasterner.

The sea bottom is sand and shells with some weeds. It is also in the high 70s except in a NE'r when it will be in the low 60s and waist to chest depth.

I haven't sailed waves at SPI but it can be done, rarely.
pirireis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rented from Jibber. Great guy, the trailer system works well. When I was there I did not see people wavesailing the Gulf side, I would consult locals about that.

SPI is very cost effective, you should be able to get lots of good accommodation for cheap on the strip. Needless to say, a car is a must to get around. Food is great.

The only worry should be the wind. If you get skunked it could be couple of days in a row. No wetsuit necessary, also the Lagoon is very shallow. Great for learning new tricks. When I was there I had so-so wind, but enjoyed the stay nevertheless.
tsokat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibemeister wrote:
Windsurf Inc. has a shadowed launch.

The flats are way better and you can rent gear on site.

http://www.windsurftheboatyard.com/

Contact Jibber he's one of the nicest people you will ever meet.

Jibber@WindsurfTheBoatyard.com

956 761 5061

I have known Jibber for over 20 years and can attest to how nice he is. The Flats definitely has cleaner wind than anywhere within town limits due to there being no buildings on shore at that location. When I lived there I did not like to drive my vehicle to the flats due to corrosion, but now when I visit and drive a rental car, I go to the flats and rent from Jibber. Mark is spot on about the prevailing SE winds generally not working on the Gulfside. You need due S or SW. Boca Chica can be an option for wave sailing during a norther but it is an advanced spot and you have to drive 50 miles from the islan to get there even though you can see it from the jetties. It can be mast high at Boca if the wind has been blowing all night long. SE and even E Gulfside works for kiters though.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And there's Bird Island. That's where my buddy sails most I think. Worldwinds is right there on the beach. They have plenty of rental gear.
tsokat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bird Island is near Corpus Christi-about 150 miles north of South Padre Island.
pshaw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: SPI Reply with quote

Having sailed at Bird Island Basin, SPI and Baja (La Ventana and Los Barilles), I would never go back to either BIB or SPI. It is great if you are within driving distance, but if you live in, e.g., San Francisco and are planning on flying to a place that has warm water sailing, I'd go for Baja. BIB and SPI both have relatively flat, shallow water with no swells. When I was there it was very hot and humid - uncomfortably so. There is generally an abundance of sea grass. I still have the weed fin I bought there and have never used it since.

Baja, on the otherhand, is scenically beautiful if you like desert to ocean landscapes, is warm without being humid, and has some of the best swell you will ever see.
jiberdaddy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have sailed BIB quite a bit in the past, both spring and fall. Other than being very windsurf friendly, it is also very boring there and nothing visual except dunes and grass.

Having never sailed SPI or Baja, I was thinking maybe saving the adventure to Baja for next spring and doing SPI this November.

Even airfare out to Bonaire/Curacao isn't all that bad right now, though the dutch "buck" is sitting at 1.77US which makes it more expensive once you land. I also dive, so Bonaire is attractive for that.

Thanks for the tips!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: