myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Camper and toy hauler setups ok to San Carlos?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BajaVaya

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bryb wrote:
... let us know what broke on your friend Jake's F250 diesel.

bryb, I was leaving for home when Ed pulled him in with his F350 diesel rig. So I did not have time to find out the full story. I will try to tel. Ed and get the long sad saga. Jake has a 2006 F250, with a humongous Lance camper, that has quit on him 4x in the US, this was the first for Mex. He pines after his red Toyota Tundra he sold (he thought diesel was the way to go) that nerry gave any trouble. May just be a Dearborn lemon.

BTW my son worked at Kragen Autoparts. Tells me Ford not only makes major changes from year to year, but even within a model year! So 2006 may be a bad year, or a part thereof. Stay tuned for the next gripping episode.

Baja tip: 4wd is not necessary in Baja. Mexicans drive everywhere in old Buicks loaded with kids, grandma, in-laws, etc (even up and down the beach). More important is ground clearance. More useful than 4x4 is a winch (keep a snatch block in the back, and a Danforth boat anchor in case you get stuck in sand).
Epenrose

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really Coors. You drove that beer that far.

Should be a law against that.
loopless

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best time on the dirt road is <50 minutes, that was just after the road was graded, you could easily do 60 on the straight sections, it was like a freeway.... they even had a work gang that actually walked the road 6 a-breast picking up rocks..

My big mistake was forgetting about the drop-off just before the rancho on the way out. The road is dead-straight, but just drops away - at 30 it is a gentle downhill , at 60 it's a perfect launch ramp for my F150, I got completely airborne - 4 wheels off the ground. Just like Robbie Gordon... scared myself **less. Made a perfect 4 point landing. Used up all my good luck that day!
Snapper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epenrose wrote:
Really Coors. You drove that beer that far.

Should be a law against that.

I guess that's aimed at me..... Shocked I had my reasons, but it's not the norm. The tasty bottled beers were left at home. Have you ever tried packing 200 bottled beers down to PSC?.....we were already pretty heavy (in more ways than one) and the cans made things lighter. HAHA...in more ways than one again! Those yummy ales are heavy on the belly after.....many. In my defense, I would like to state that the Coors were accompanied by Tecates, Pacificos, El Jimador, y Hornitos.
Snapper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewc wrote:
My best time on the dirt road is <50 minutes, that was just after the road was graded, you could easily do 60 on the straight sections, it was like a freeway.... they even had a work gang that actually walked the road 6 a-breast picking up rocks..

My big mistake was forgetting about the drop-off just before the rancho on the way out. The road is dead-straight, but just drops away - at 30 it is a gentle downhill , at 60 it's a perfect launch ramp for my F150, I got completely airborne - 4 wheels off the ground. Just like Robbie Gordon... scared myself **less. Made a perfect 4 point landing. Used up all my good luck that day!

I LOVE that jump! Now that I pull a trailer, I only hit it at MACH speed on the moto.

<50 minutes is really movin! Glad I was'nt comming the opposite way. During that last rip I rode my moto to town along the coast road, fueled up , bought more beer and booze, and rode back along the coast, and arrived in time for breakfast.....1:50 total time/ 95 miles....all dirt. Love my new moto! Mr. Green

Baja'09-adventuretrip 170.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.22 MB
 Viewed:  17347 Time(s)

Baja'09-adventuretrip 170.jpg

jiberdaddy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BajaVaya wrote:
bryb wrote:
... let us know what broke on your friend Jake's F250 diesel.

bryb, I was leaving for home when Ed pulled him in with his F350 diesel rig. So I did not have time to find out the full story. I will try to tel. Ed and get the long sad saga. Jake has a 2006 F250, with a humongous Lance camper, that has quit on him 4x in the US, this was the first for Mex. He pines after his red Toyota Tundra he sold (he thought diesel was the way to go) that nerry gave any trouble. May just be a Dearborn lemon.

BTW my son worked at Kragen Autoparts. Tells me Ford not only makes major changes from year to year, but even within a model year! So 2006 may be a bad year, or a part thereof. Stay tuned for the next gripping episode.

Baja tip: 4wd is not necessary in Baja. Mexicans drive everywhere in old Buicks loaded with kids, grandma, in-laws, etc (even up and down the beach). More important is ground clearance. More useful than 4x4 is a winch (keep a snatch block in the back, and a Danforth boat anchor in case you get stuck in sand).

Ford (Navistar) diesel was especially bad between 2003-2007 with the 6.0L engine. That is a POS. Lots of serious recalls and even full bybacks due to the lemon law. Both the 7.3 (<2003) and current 6.xL Navistar diesels are much more reliable. Ford is supposed to be working on an actual Ford design&built engine for 2011... of course you'd want to steer clear of being the first in line for that one.

Most local mex travelers don't haul a couple tons payload, and they might have a lot of hands to help get unstuck. I would still choose 4x4 for when driving in the rain/wet sludge roads. Peace-of-mind factor.
BajaVaya

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jiberdaddy wrote:
Most local mex travelers don't haul a couple tons payload, and they might have a lot of hands to help get unstuck. I would still choose 4x4 for when driving in the rain/wet sludge roads. Peace-of-mind factor.

jiberdaddy. I am not sure you have done much off-roading in Baja, and it seems you may not have actually encountered Baja mud. From one who has gotten stuck up to the axles in it -- 4x4 and all, and had to winch numerous people out of it, Baja mud is not to be taken lightly. When it is dry it is concrete (they build houses out of it -- it is termed Adobe). But when it is wet it transforms into axle grease, of unknown depth.

I am well aware of 4x4. I have a stick Landcruiser and have owned several 4wd trucks and SUVs, and drove a Jeep CJ5 across the Kalahari Desert in S.Africa. Older FJ40/FJ60 Landcruiser is widely touted as the finest off-road vehicle (more stock FJs have completed the Paris-Dajar race that any other make; according to FJ website... take it from me, it rides over Baja roads like a dream.)

My Baja friends and I will atest that 4x4 in beach sand (must be the stuff they put in hourglasses) and Baja axle grease, is a sure invention to turn a small problem into a humongous one. Lost count of the number of 4x4 SUVs and trucks that tootled along the beach and got stuck, then lost when the tide came in... ask anyone who has talked to the locals at San Felipe.

We have found that even a 4000 lb winch (especially with a snatch block) will yank out a truck in over the axles. Problem with 4x4: the very act of turning the wheels digs them in deeper; and those fancy big cleat "off-road" tires that look so macho -- the cleats act as little shovels, really making a bad situation worse. Bear in mind a 4000 lb winch has the pull of around 40 Mexicans, with a snatch block it doubles to 80. Winches are so powerful that if your winch is in the front and you rope the back end of the truck to a tree (or some such) to stop it from sliding, you can pull the truck frame apart (the winch manual warns of this in BIG letters). If 4x4 gives you comfort, all the best. But I have an album of photos that might give you pause. Not to say I demean 4x4 (I use it myself), but unless you know how to use it properly it is no panacea.

BTW Some people will be upset with me for saying this, but 4x4 and auto transmission don't belong in the same sentence.
ducati

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snapper wrote:
Guess I bought a Haulmark....oops, mind is slipping!

is this the macho snapper-boy that self-proclaims he "destroys and crushes" all? oooohhh... Shocked
Snapper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ducati wrote:
Snapper wrote:
Guess I bought a Haulmark....oops, mind is slipping!

is this the macho snapper-boy that self-proclaims he "destroys and crushes" all? oooohhh... Shocked

1- That's my buddy
2- "destroys and crushes" is a miss quote
3- You really have some issues and need to get help

I've looked at your previous posts, and you seem to have a knack for being rude and obnoxious. You're a racist and a sexist. You're pretty good at taking up space and resources though, and since you have'nt posted in 8 years, I'm assuming you've been clogging up our penal system. As your current post suggests, you have nothing of value to offer this thread. In small way, I feel sorry for you.

So, got any ideas on campers and trailers going to PSC?
ducati

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"penal system?" what a witty choice of words. anyone that invests as much time and money as you in traveling to such remote and isolated destinations with your but-buddy must have his own strict "penal system."

i applaud your devotion. myself? i'd rather devote my resources to a woman.

peace, my braddah. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: