myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sails 101
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingjoe wrote:
Having sold sporting goods for a few years, I wanted, also, to comment on blather. Dan Weiss blathers. He also does what the French term >>tutoyer<<. However, when sifting through this kind of salesman blather, you should look for what is omitted. What isn't said about a particular item can tell you a lot about it. If they build up one thing, you should start to assume it won't do the opposite. It's called lying by omission.

Tutoyer, but only por vous.

Last edited by DanWeiss on Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:18 am; edited 1 time in total
pueno

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailing wrote:
Having sold sporting goods for a few years, I wanted, also, to comment on blather. Dan Weiss blathers. He also does what the French term >>tutoyer<<. However, when sifting through this kind of salesman blather, you should look for what is omitted. What isn't said about a particular item can tell you a lot about it. If they build up one thing, you should start to assume it won't do the opposite. It's called lying by omission.

"It's called lying by omission."

In your case, Brucie, it's called lying by stupidity.
Flyer01

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: sail comparisons Reply with quote

Very helpful comments. As I originally mentioned, I've got Severne Focus 8.5 and 6.7 sails now. I'm looking for something in the 5.5-6.0 size range quite possibly used for flat water and maybe some bump and jump in the future, but no wave sailing. Here are some specific makes and models I would consider:

-Severne Focus
-Neil Pryde Hellcat
-Sailworks Retro

Obviously, these sails are at a broad range of prices. How would you compare them?
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about the mast you would use for the new sail?

If matched with an existing mast that you now use with your Severne sails, I would think that you would be well placed to go with the Severne Focus. However, you didn't mention whether you're really satisfied with your existing sails.

Overall, on the bigger picture, you need to consider whether the existing mast(s) you have now will ultimately work satisfactorily on a Neil Pryde or Sailworks sail. Needless to say, if a new mast is part of the deal, price accordingly.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't overlook Loft and Northwave. Both are great sails, and the latter is Made in the USA (Hood River).

Mike \m/
Flyer01

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer those questions:

I'm reasonably pleased with the Severne Focus sails, but I can see they aren't going to be the most durable sail out there. In terms of performance, I'm content with them, but I haven't tried any other modern sails, so I'd like to pickup something, possibly a couple years old, that would demonstrate what a more sophisticated sail would do for me.

Masts: Currently, I've got a 460 mast for the 6.7 and the 8.5, so I'll need to get a 400 or 430 mast to suit anything in the 5.5-5.9 range. Probably looking to pick that up used, too.
NickB

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 2009 Hellcat and like it OK, but I don't think I'm able to tune it to its full potential on my 460 Fiberspars nor on my 490 NoLimitz, and would probably like it better on the recommended NP mast (X6 I think, pricey). It creases very easily though, and the upper mast sleeve is a real bitch to get your SDM mast through.

A few weeks ago I got a used 2008 KA Koyote, and I love it so far. It's very light (1+lb lighter than some competition, compare on the mfr sites), rigs easily and withstands abuse. Great range through simple outhaul tuning and great in gusts. You might want to check out their 5.9, seems like it'd suit your needs. Watch out if you buy used, 2008 or above has all x-ply, 2007 did not. 2008 and 2009 models are exactly similar except for aesthetics, so you can't go wrong with those years.

Nicolas
rsanrafael

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: sail comparisons Reply with quote

Flyer01 wrote:
I'm looking for something in the 5.5-6.0 size range quite possibly used for flat water and maybe some bump and jump in the future, but no wave sailing. Here are some specific makes and models I would consider:
-Severne Focus
-Neil Pryde Hellcat
-Sailworks Retro
Obviously, these sails are at a broad range of prices. How would you compare them?

-Severne Focus: Price-point sail. I thought you wanted to try something better. Check out the Blade or Gator.
-Neil Pryde Hell(aciously-overpriced)cat: You don't always get what you pay for.
-Sailworks Retro: 5.5 OK, 6.0 notsohotso with your stated goal of buying a used mast. The 6.0 has 2 battens below the boom; you're taking a big chance on batten rotation unless you have exactly the right mast. This might be less of a problem with an rdm but they are harder to find used, and more expensive.

Just about every manufacturer has 5 or 6 batten mid-range sails that would meet your criteria.
ittiandro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Soft sails Reply with quote

I am considering a deal on a HSM Superfreak 8.0 of an older generation.
On the bag, it bears the description " Soft crossover". What does SOFT mean?
From what I can see, the battens are not full length, about 3/4 and some, at the leech end, are very short.

Also, the Dacron lower panel(s) seem to have a considerable shape built into them.
If this is what SOFT means, what are the advantages ( or disadvantages?).
I would be using it as a free ride sail in light winds.

For one thing, it might be heavier to uphaul because its shape may collect more water than other sails.

Any comments?

Thanks

Ittiandro
LeeD

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperFreak 4.5 is my choice of sail in that size. I have Voodoo's, Zetas, Reefs, Bash's, and Interface Waves in 4.5 also, but the Freak is in the van.
Weighs more than all the other 4.5's on land. Feels lighter than them all in the water. Never notice it getting any extra water after landing jumps, so the water gain thing is a myth. I sailed in the days of Dacron sails, and water retention was never a problem, you just shook the sail by pumping to get planning, the excess water just flies off it immediately.
Yes, short battens in center, long at the two tops, for a nice soft feel, great low end, and controllable but not too fast top end.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: