myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
East Wind morning at Rooster (9-18)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andymc4610

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: East Wind morning at Rooster (9-18) Reply with quote

Should be 5.0 to 5.5 till Noon?

netcam.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  69.77 KB
 Viewed:  13922 Time(s)

netcam.jpg

jota

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know, I've been wondering.

Seems like back in the '90s, there were regular stretches of 3.2 easterlies at Rooster Rock, Stevenson, etc, in the fall (September).

Slight digression: I'm a 175 lb man. Sails are so much better now that I rarely go smaller than a 3.7, even in epic gorge conditions, whereas I regularly sailed a 3.2 back in the day.

But what happened to those nuking easterlies? I used to head down all the time for the fall, locals-only sessions on my 3.2 or maybe 3.7. Not just a couple days a year - lots of days. It was always dawn patrol - head down early, watching the glassy water slowly turn into a maelstrom as I drove past the tunnels and towards Home Valley. Basically done by 10 am or so, or worn out, and heading back to HR, as latecomers would be arriving and rigging bigger sails - like 4.0s.

I realize I am not so motivated to drive down there anymore, but I still watch iW (and Temira). Am I missing something?
pabloson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: happy tomatoes = wimpy easterlies. Reply with quote

Been wondering the same thing. Used to be almost guaranteed nuker with frosty mornings at my place (at 1800 feet) in September and October. No frost yet this year. Not even close. Need frost and 20/100's. Maybe this will be the year! A sunny fall morning on the water in Stevenson is beautiful.
andymc4610

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good session from 9-11 was way OP on the 4.7 all by myself, 4.2 might have been better, windier than I thought. Then perfectly powered till 11:30 with 3 WS out and a couple kiters....all I needed....Super warm still.

Most 3.0, 3.5 at Rooster are in Oct/ Nov. at least that my experience, it seems to be a colder fall air to it. I would get cold in my 4/3 (before I had a good winter suit).
pabloson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah, I think October is probably when it really gets going. Monday has some potential with cool temps Sunday night. Here's the monday 5 AM MM5.

slp.72.0000.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  81.79 KB
 Viewed:  13789 Time(s)

slp.72.0000.gif

andymc4610

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, they are forecasting mon/ tues for a big day.

Almost no one picked today to be as windy as it was (just one lady who shall remain nameless, so as not to get modded). PDX stations "light wind" not even east for the gorge and NOAA 6-11 from the east. There was smoke on the water on the WA side from 9-10:30.
hilton08

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Easterlies Reply with quote

Back in the "old days" you always had to be at the beach by 9:00 to catch the Easterlies because they would start to die off around Noon. In recent years, there have been many days (like today) where the Easterlies at Stevenson don't even get going until 10:00 or 11:00 and they blow until 3:00 or 4:00. I don't want to complain about being able to sleep in on the cold mornings, but can anyone explain the change?

stevensongraph.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  16.79 KB
 Viewed:  13757 Time(s)

stevensongraph.gif

isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's related to the dearth of westerly dawn patrol winds in the corridor for the past several years ... not to mention the strong easterlies we used to get at dawn beginning in August.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: