myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
FOOTSTRAPS CAN BREAK YOUR FOOT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dabull1 wrote:
I agree with the side tension theory versus the top pressure foot retention idea.

I fail to see how lateral confinement lets our front feet twist out more easily. The wider I space my front strap screws, the more easily they come out in a fall or in a jibe when I don't get my front foot out early enough.

I seldom get pitched directly forward, and even when I do my foot comes out as long as it's not buried up to my ankle, which it would be if I didn't have it fairly snug on top of my foot.

I suspect there are at least two different sets of choice/preference/priorities involved here:
Camp 1 values total board control over ankle integrity. I can only guess those folks have not experienced severe acute or chronic ankle injury and disability before. Camp 1 also welds their ski bindings shut and refuses to wear a helmet.

Camp 2 has had horrible ankle injuries that impact them to this day, and is willing to sacrifice a few percent of ultimate board control to protect its ankles. Camp 2 WANTS their ski bindings to release moderately early and wears a helmet in the shower.

The ankle injuries I experienced 45-65 years ago very strongly impact many aspects of my life today, and I'll never forget the shock-inducing pain that I felt even weeks after some of those injuries.

It is easy to move from Camp 1 to Camp 2; the reverse is not so easy.
fxop

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a tenderfoot I've always sailed with booties, but have never understood how people could function with today's thick, structured booties, especially the ones where elements of the rubber sole are lapped up onto the sides. I always found the rubber to be sticky against the footstrap, and could never make it work.

I get an old school bootie from a custom wetsuit maker locally. All neoprene upper, nice and slippery against the strap. Enough sole to protect from most hazards. The sole material changed a few years ago to a pebbled material that is a little slippery at first but seems to be just fine with a little wear. PM me if you want the contact info.

fxop

bootie-small.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  181.4 KB
 Viewed:  18116 Time(s)

bootie-small.JPG

windsrf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without tight arch strap my foot slides inside and thin soles bunch up on me, etc. Thicker sole and strap prevent that. Okespor solved both problems for me. However, have very narrow feet.

I was also having problem with boot/foot catching in one front strap during jibes on my new board - at the top of my foot. I "widened" the strap by moving rear screw attachment to a further row. No problem since. Left the other strap in old configuration - standard hole locations.

Maybe another version of Goofy Foot?
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that split-toed booties prevent toe jam better than does an arch strap.
windsrf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, but they gave me blisters.
windoggi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

izitvindi wrote:
Hey, Windoggie, can you make a picture with geriatric looking windsurfers with their blue haired companions on shore? 'Cause that'll be us soon.
soon?
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have worn booties for 33 years and have never had an injured foot (broken, twisted, stubbed toe, blister, cut, etc.) I did lose a big toenail once because of toe jam over a period of time in my very early years.

Since Okespor came out, I have used them exclusively, the Gorge model. However, Okespor apparently does not export to the US anymore. Everyone that carried Okespor is just about out or is out of inventory and few if any have the larger sizes. I have to have a strap across the top of my foot to keep from jamming my toes into the end. I have a size 12 narrow foot and every other brand of bootie I have tried is too sloppy. The split toe just feels too weird, plus the pressure between the two big toes against the skin when the foot slides to the front hurts.

I don't do any radical sailing (freestyle or waves), so getting out of the straps in a fall is no big deal.

I did find a pair of Okespor Kite low, but the largest size I could find is a T7, which on the bootie says 45/46 European size, so my toe hits the end. On the French Okespor web site, their largest bootie is the 45/46. European's have always had small feet. My old Gorge booties say 47, which fit perfectly.

Every bootie I have owned has multiple cuts on the bottom, but none on my feet. When you get used to the booties, you can't sail without them. And yes, booties do tend to stick in the straps, but it's not difficult to compensate.
windsrf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techno900,

At first I thought I was reading an earlier post of mine given total congruity with my own experience with Okespor booties over past 10-20 years. Only time I've had foot injury problem was when I wasn't wearing them.

I buy Kitehigh model from Shoes.com and they apparently are currently in stock - Size T7 at $70 (just ordered another pair - anticipating a "market run" from this posting - on sale for $56 and free shipping). Used to buy the Superokefun model, but it has zipper which is just another failure point, plus they are a bit bulkier.

Key attributes as you note are more robust sole that doesn’t scrunch up and ankle/arch strap. Although I don’t kite, the booties don’t seem to hold it against me.

https://www.shoes.com/okespor/category_4885?dnl=1

I wear kayaking socks inside them - seems to help given my Size 13 - AA feet (maybe 12.5).

Mysterioso M-Tech Polartec socks

Two years ago I had similar Okespor supply access problem and tried at least 5 other brands, to no avail. I even contacted the new owners (Synerglace in France):

c.sors@synerglace.com

Shoes.com now seems to have a steady supply.

David
beallmd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the kiters have a new open strap system called Hookers, said to release the foot in one direction anyway. Appears to be a new entry into the quest for a releasable strap system, what do you think? anyone try these? http://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=425
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those "Hooker's" have been around since the late '80's, marketed and failed because the foot naturally twists when landing jumps, meaning it can release on the landings.
In secure while in, it doesn't give a positive locked in feel.
HOWEVER, if you like sailing without straps, it does hold you in better than sheer bottom of foot friction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: