myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
December Honeymooon and saling Trip suggestions - Fiji?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bt2020

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: December Honeymooon and saling Trip suggestions - Fiji? Reply with quote

I'm looking to travel to Fiji end of December for honeymoon and sailing.

Has anyone salied or found a great December destination or a beautiful beach location that you can sail as well? Places to stay or rent equipment. (I sail 3.7- 5.2).

Already sailed Brazil, Turkey, Margaritta, DR, Barrilles

Thanks

BT2020
woudstock

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Honeymoon Late November / Early December Reply with quote

I have basically the same question (for late November / early December). Although I don't think we want to go all the way to Fiji.

We are looking for a nice tropical beach destination with a good chance of having enough wind to sail a couple of days.

We looked into doing a combined Fernando de Noronha and Jeri or Icaraizinho vacation. That is, we would go to Fernando de Noronha for the romantic relaxing part of the honeymoon and then travel to Jeri for some windsurfing. The problem is that the trip is 1) super expensive and 2) a hassle in terms of traveling.

We are looking for alternatives. Costa Rica seems like it has good wind potential but I don't know much about it and a lake doesn't seem so tropical Smile All the Caribbean islands don't seem to have wind until late winter/ early spring.

bt2020, have you picked a location yet?

Ideally we want the perfect balance of:
- Simple travel plans that require no thinking about timing or random transfers in dune buggies (we are coming from the northeast )
- Nice (doesn't have to be fancy) relaxing accommodations
- Warm, beautiful water and scenery
- Good wind and convenient windsurfing rental and water access

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
bt2020

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: December nice Destinations Reply with quote

Not yet- I foudn a "windsurf shack" in Fiji but feeback on the place is VERY negative. I've opened up the search to Argentina, but perhaps might land at Maui if things don't take shape. Any Christmas windsurfing gems out there folks?
keycocker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sail on caye caulker and it blows in Nov. My big sail is a 5.9 and I use it more than my 5.0, but I also keep 4.5, 4.2 and 4.0 rigged and use them at times. I sail on the average 15 days a mo/., but that is because i arrange my life around sailing.
We have a great wave site for both beginning and 'needs to be head high' types of sailors. Protected water inside the reef for bump and jump and easy sailing to other tiny islands. Water warm and clear. Many people sail in street clothes.
I don't rent gear-only the kiters rent windsurf gear and not all of them like windsurfers very well. I have a store so I help out sailors with better rental gear at a low cost if they help out the high school in some way.
The expressiom here is "hand wash hand" with this custom.
Rooms top at $120/day with many $50 -75. My friends in stay clean local style under $28 but they are mostly windsurfers so you have to allow...
You can walk to the launch from literally any place in the island. We use bikes. The gear is rigged always by everyone in shacks near the water.
The site is large and usually empty.
Seafood is often very fresh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: