myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Any Internet service available for Rio Vista camping?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jchao

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:11 am    Post subject: Any Internet service available for Rio Vista camping? Reply with quote

Gotta important internet meeting on Sunday morning. Want to head out to Rio Vista for an early Sunday session. Anyone know of a campsite that has wireless internet service?
jayden123

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: internet connection Reply with quote

rio villenta has internet connection for a fee and i heard you can connect from the sign. however i just use my mobile phone for the internet connection to the laptop. its called tethering and it works pretty good. of course the service provider wont tell you about this. its just 15.00 a month for unlimited internet. fist sign up for mobile internet the utube your phone and tethering and you should find a link for the appropiate software. but i dont know if its fast enough to stream live video.

good luck. i just may be out there sunday as well Cool .

victor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The place is called Rio Viento, next door to the Sign.. They have WiFi for a fee. G3 has pretty good reception in that area, too.
2bluehawaiins

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Any Internet service available for Rio Vista camping? Reply with quote

jchao wrote:
Gotta important internet meeting on Sunday morning. Want to head out to Rio Vista for an early Sunday session. Anyone know of a campsite that has wireless internet service?

You can park in the sign day use parking area and get service for 5 for two day,10 for the week or 30 a month. There is a limit on how many MB then the service slows to 56k . For whats that's worth !
Arrgh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longterm (whatever that means these days) 3G is the way to go. The island has pretty good coverage due to its proximity to Antioch.

Last edited by Arrgh on Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some carriers offer a device that plugs into your PC that's quite small and it offers remote internet access anywhere. I know a guy that had this type of device at Powerlines, and it works quite well, but I have to say that we were just checking the iWindsurf and NOAA websites. However, this guy uses the device regularly out on the road while driving a semi around the mid to western US.
berrisbob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free (for now) wifi is available in the big parking lot at the access...

http://bayareakiteboarding.com/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=5&jfile=viewtopic.php&f=1&t=7562
spennie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stay for a week or 2 at Rio Viento every year, and the WiFi works great. You can't "camp" there, however, unless you have a decent RV or trailer, no tents or van camping. It's a great spot, good launches, lots of grass rigging, incredible showers, we love it! $35./night or $180./week, worth every penny.

Delta setup 2009.jpg
 Description:
Kickin' it at Rio Viento, August 2009
 Filesize:  323.72 KB
 Viewed:  16500 Time(s)

Delta setup 2009.jpg

swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Rio Viento is the "kind" spot to hang out, one wonders why spennie's graffito pasted statements on toilet facilities found their way all the way over at Powerlines.

It's about promotion, just look at the flag, but I really think that it's much more than that.

Nobody appreciates a tagger, especially when it's about questionable personal promotion.
jchao

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! Taking off from the Gorge late. With the fire brewing in Mosier, had some issues with my horses. Will try to do an morning session at RV and then to Crissey for the afternoon. Probably will do the same for Sunday and Monday. See you out there!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: