myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Parking @ Bob's Beach...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
River-Lizard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Parking @ Bob's Beach... Reply with quote

For those of us who sail at Bob's Beach in Stevenson, you will have noticed that the Port of Skamania bought the vacant house & lot on the west side of Bob's Beach. The fence has been taken down, the brush cleared, and the rigging area has been effectively doubled.

However, latecomers have been driving their vehicles around the side of the port offices building, and parking on the grass.

Just to give everyone a fair heads up, the grass area is not for parking. The Port of Skamania does not want you to park there. There is a city ordinance that prohibits parking there.

We all know that sometimes the parking can be a bit much at that site, particularly when there's little wind elsewhere. But still, please be considerate and use common sense when parking. One day I came in from sailing to find that someone with a truck and trailier had parked across four parking spaces in front of the Port Offices building. They had driven over some of the new landscaping and the sidewalk that leads to the building.

Access to Bob's Beach is provided free of charge, and I think we can all agree that the Port has done a great job creating river-access for windsurfers and kiters in the city of Stevenson. Please, lets show some respect and use the area responsibly. There was no excuse for cars parked on the grass when there was plenty of parking across the street.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Chill, Dude (OK, Dudette)"
"MYOB"
"I'll park where I wanna park"
"Who appointed you God?" (to a camp host who is also a retired Green Beret)
"It's WINDSURFING, Dood ... there are no rules"
"We built this place. You can't tell us what to do."
"It's all good."
" Oh, it's OK; I know the guy who runs the place."
"Nobody BETTER drag their gear across my Porsche just because I'm blocking the only entrance."
"This paved, painted, sometimes PAID public parking space is my [rigging/party/bud's/carpet/awning/barbecue space. Go find yer own."
"%#^#!*&! you."
"I'm a local. It's OK."
"I'm a tourist. I don't have time to go looking for another place."
"I'll help you climb over my car" (No, thanks; I didn't need any help.)
"But I NEED four parking places, in case I want to rearrange my truck and trailer."

Just a few of the responses I've heard from people like that when a Corps of Engineers camp host or a fellow WSer has asked some goofball to be considerate. Let's hope your appeal works. Thanks for notifying us, Lizzie.

Mike \m/
WMP

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't sail Bob's Beach in summer because of the extreme parking problem. I also don't do much shopping or dining in Stevenson as a result.... not even at the local brew pub. With all due respect to the Port of Skamania (terrific job of improving the Stevenson waterfront) the recreation parking situation at Bob's Beach has always been a problem during peak windsurfing season. With the addition of the new lot, we all hoped that this would mean expanded recreation parking nice and close to the rigging area. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

Since the Port of Skamania has made it very difficult for windsurfers to launch at the boat ramp and East Point sites.... we are now forced to launch at Bob's Beach with extremely limited parked. So, hopefully the Port of Skamania will come up with a plan to solve this problem soon?

- WMP
westender

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone with a truck and big trailer at Bobs', parking like an idiot,, Gee,, who would do such a thing??? Let me guess? A blue GM style SUV and gray trailer????? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: