myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
SHARK WEEK ON DISCOVERY CHANNEL
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JRuffus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: SHARK WEEK ON DISCOVERY CHANNEL Reply with quote

Thats right...its shark week, all sorts of good stuff...last night retraced the summer of 1916 in NJ where there were 6 attacks and 5 deaths..more good stuff to come this week.

Twisted Evil
wavedawg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the best training video out there!! Its amazing - after a few nights of shark week I get really good at making all my jibes, and hardly ever land in the water. When i do the waterstarts only take a couple of seconds. Thanx, Discovery Channel, for the great windsurfing training video!!
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wavedawg wrote:
Its amazing - after a few nights of shark week I get really good at making all my jibes, and hardly ever land in the water. !

I can tell you that after my first (and hopefully my last) shark encounter while windsurfing off of Long Island, my ocean waterstarts are MUCH faster.

http://www.peconicpuffin.com/the_peconic_puffin/2009/06/windsurfing-shark-encounter.html

I can assure you that the siting of just one shark will do wonders for your sense of urgency.

icesailing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: shark Reply with quote

Here Spot..... Good Boy.....

44.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  31.68 KB
 Viewed:  13117 Time(s)

44.jpg

windtrip

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: Great Shark Book Reply with quote

In the interest of knowing who we are swimming with, I recommend reading the following and enjoying the wonderful photos: The Encyclopedia of Sharks by Steve Parker. We checked this out of the library and have been looking at it every day. It's full of fascinating info on shark biology as well as useful stuff to know like how dangerous they are/aren't.

Relative risks of ways we are likely to depart forever:
- Heart disease: 1 in 5
- Influenza and complications: 1 in 70
- Traffic accident: 1 in 150k
- Lightening: 1 in 80k
- Shark attack: 1 in 3 million

For windsurfers on the east coast the risk of driving to the beach in the summer is probably way higher than what's here. Of course I have yet to see sharky while sailing. So far only while snorkeling and he didn't look too friendly then.
windtrip

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: Great Shark Book Reply with quote

In the interest of knowing who we are swimming with, I recommend reading the following and enjoying the wonderful photos: The Encyclopedia of Sharks by Steve Parker. We checked this out of the library and have been looking at it every day. It's full of fascinating info on shark biology as well as useful stuff to know like how dangerous they are/aren't.

For windsurfers on the east coast the risk of driving to the beach in the summer is probably way higher than what's here. Of course I have yet to see sharky while sailing. So far only while snorkeling and he didn't look too friendly then.
windtrip

windtrip

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:35 am    Post subject: Sorry about this showing up 3 times Reply with quote

Don't know why this happened. Writing on apple mac. slow mousy.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Great Shark Book Reply with quote

windtrip wrote:

1. Those numbers of course are for the general population. For example, the odds of being killed by lightening for golfers who regularly play in the rain is much higher.

2. Most people attacked by sharks live. For myself, my fear is not of being killed by a shark, it's any shark attack at all...losing 15 pounds of thigh is not a great consolation prize.

3. In my own recent experience with a shark, I consoled myself with the belief that the odds were probably still in my favor. http://www.peconicpuffin.com/the_peconic_puffin/2009/06/windsurfing-shark-encounter.html
However, the odds of an attack for someone who has had a shark swim up behind and to the side of him/her, and paces you for awhile, are surely shorter than the odds of the average citiizen being killed by one.

Hey I had my first ocean session "post shark" last week, and it was a blast. I definitely hustle a bit more on the waterstart, though!

icesailing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: shark Reply with quote

you can delete those extra entries under edit. So what species of shark are we seeing? Blues, Makos? I wouldnt panic out there but a shark attack can happen up here too. I would definitly respect it, and keep an eye out. Though its probably the one you dont see. there seem to be more of a chances of it in the fall when they come in, I know even wells beach in nh gets shut down from shark sightings, they are small usualy blues and makos. i wonder with the pros out sailing in packs in open ocean events do they ever see them. well be carefull gang and respect it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: