myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Water hit 74 in the Gorge, new record?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andymc4610

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Water hit 74 in the Gorge, new record? Reply with quote

Water hit 74 in the Gorge 6 degrees above normal/ average. Anyone know what the record is? I know it hits 72 in late August.

http://www.fpc.org/river/tempgraphs/NETtempgraph.aspx
CUSalin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eeeeesh! Sorry for The Fish. This is not good if you're a Salmon.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard for years that the Corps' mandatory max is 72 (it's managed by dam flow, using deeper/cooler water as a control factor). Anything more kills salmon fingerlings.

Mike \m/
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My GOD, iW ... get rid of ping.chartbeat!
jesusjones

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All effects of the knuckle heads who built this country on greed and stupidity, trampling the environment for selfish agendas. Now we play the political red tape game trying to restore what was destroyed by these idiots. The Federal Government wins out because of a severely flawed system churning its wheels to send rockets into space, build weapons, and control the money for its own stinky interests. We are in big trouble folks if something doesn’t dramatically change on this river. Wait; I mean the fish are in big trouble. I wouldn’t mind if the Columbia was 85, but I care more about the fish than myself.
rationalnational

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jesusjones wrote:
All effects of the knuckle heads who built this country on greed and stupidity, trampling the environment for selfish agendas. Now we play the political red tape game trying to restore what was destroyed by these idiots. The Federal Government wins out because of a severely flawed system churning its wheels to send rockets into space, build weapons, and control the money for its own stinky interests. We are in big trouble folks if something doesn’t dramatically change on this river. Wait; I mean the fish are in big trouble. I wouldn’t mind if the Columbia was 85, but I care more about the fish than myself.

Just think if we had only listened to your brilliant mind before the fact we might have been able to avoid this catastrophe we now are faced with.

You know an option may be to move your angry puss up to Canada and wait a few years before you realize that they aren't as smart as you are either....

if you time it right the trip to mars will be coming up soon and I sure the intelligent life forms there will be overjoyed to see you
jesusjones

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m not sure what your problem is? But there is no question the progress made in this country was done in haste, mostly done without consideration for, well you name it. One I can think of is the construction of the Grand Cooley Dam and the ultimate destruction of the Tule Salmon runs that once went up into Canada. Those fish tried to reach there spawning grounds but could not. They beat there heads against the dam until they died and so did the great Tule Salmon runs that once where the largest in the world. Fish wheels; now that’s a brilliant concept. Why is the Columbia so warm, we all no the question to that. I am a disabled US Army Veteran and a lover of my beautiful Country. Sorry, I have no interest in Canada, not even Mars. There’s no doubt I have been out of line on this forum more than once, even immature, and yes; ANGRY. I believe it all started in the Geezer forum which was a real piece of work. One thing I won’t do anymore is give guys like you gratification for getting under my skin, because you don’t. I’m sure your probably a cool guy and I would like sailing and hanging out with you. Some day’s are better than others my friend.
WMP

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, just look at the 'Cash for Clunkers' program..... our federal tax dollars at work! I plan to bring in my old 6.9 clunker sail from 1982 and see how much $$$ they will credit me towards a new fuel efficient kite. Wow, I'm sure glad programs like this come along.... sure helps the local economy!
30knotwind

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.wildsalmon.org/
As a northwest native and gorge sailor I want salmon conditions to improve--74/76 F kills fish. The best, and most realistic, chance Columbia Salmon runs have of getting better is to take out the Snake river dams. They were the last major dams built in the basin, because they were the worst dam(n) sites (hehe), and the cumulative effect of passing through 8 big dams, 4 on the Columbia and 4 on the Snake, has nearly wiped out those runs. Removing those dams should improve wild salmon conditions and will eliminate massive amounts of wasted federal fish study and mitigation funds.

Realistically, the Grand Coulee, Chief Joseph and four lower Columbia dams are not going anywhere--the upper ones should never have blocked salmon migration in the first place, but mitigation is never gonna work there now. I'm happy to lose the Snake dams. And let's face it, windsurfers need the lower Columbia dams--although I'd grudgingly support removal of those too if it were required for salmon recovery.
More info here:
http://www.wildsalmon.org/
seabrookuk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jesusjones wrote:

Well said
kl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: