myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
windsurfing in Cabarete Dominican Republic
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panasuk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Cabarete Reply with quote

Got back from Cabarete a week ago from a 2 week break.

I rented at Vela it is top notch. 2 other places available and good Mistral ( north sails) and Nathalie Simon (mainly Ezzy sails with good choice of boards). Mistral is the least expensive. Best to book in advance for best prices.

Vela offers a package with choice of windsurfing or kite gear with instruction...it looked flexible and reasonable. All 3 places rented kite gear (directly or indirectly)

See activecabarete.com for general info and e-mails

Sailed 9 out of 13 days mainly 5,8 to 6.2 m sails and 100-1120 l boards. Wind was lower than average with waves bigger than average for summer conditions ( some days logo high)

Serge
pe4387

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Good luck on your Cabarete adventure Reply with quote

I'm the guy who was down there 7/21 to 7/31 that RC mentioned. I recommend Vela with Jens and his staff. For lesson, I recommend Neil Howe, the Brit, who is at Vela. He is thorough, cares, and works on his game. It's all good. Love Cabarete for the summer small beach break, schlog zone, chop, swells, and going through the reef to the "Blue!" I've had 7 summer trips down there in May, June, and July.
coyoteandre

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Cabarete Reply with quote

I was in Cabarete for one week in mid December, no wind all seven days, topless aged women on the beach did not compensate. Rental equipment looked new in all rental places, nowind=equipmentlooksnew. All my friends complained about not enough wind there. Beware going to windsurf places which advertise also horseback riding, bicycling, kayaking as this means no wind !!!
jfeehan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabarete Reply with quote

coyoteandre wrote:
I was in Cabarete for one week in mid December, no wind all seven days, topless aged women on the beach did not compensate. Rental equipment looked new in all rental places, nowind=equipmentlooksnew. All my friends complained about not enough wind there. Beware going to windsurf places which advertise also horseback riding, bicycling, kayaking as this means no wind !!!

Mid-December is kind of on the shoulder of the windy season in Cabarete.

Any week _can_ be windy..., but really Jan-Feb is when the trade-winds start to blow, and the spring is generally pretty good.

Supposedly, the summer is the most reliable, in terms of the wind.

But, windsurfers go to Cabarete, in part, for the waves... not because it is the most reliably windy location. I have been about 15 times (in the spring), and I would say my long-term average is about 60% 6.0 and below powered-up short board sailing, 20% light wind cruising (still planing, but on slalom or some kind of big gear), and 20% no sailing.

i would guess Margarita is the most reliably windy location in the caribbean (with rental gear etc.). but even there, I'm not sure how reliable it is in Dec.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: