myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hatch parking rant
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamD0g

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think big rigs belong at Spring Creek Fish Hatchery State Park just because of the layout. However, the season is short, the actual days when parking is a problem are relatively few, creative parking is all we have and the cooperation of the RV owners who park all day in pulling way forward and allowing smaller vehicles to park behind is very key. I just scraped most of the paint off my fender parking creatively too close to one of those big rocks and I'M not complaining (much).
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jota wrote:
If there's a problem it's the lineup of huge campers that gets there early and establishes their impenetrable wall of vehicles. Then while we arrive for dawn patrol they're just getting up and making bacon.

That's odd; I almost never seen any campers, or any people, or even any vehicles, at the Hatch when I arrive for dawn patrol, unless I'm a few minutes late and Duane or Wes is already there, parked in the dark waiting fpr juuuuust enough glow in the eastern sky to read the whitecaps. We ... and later the campers ... got our tired, raggedy asses out of bed and got our parking spots; we paid our dues for them. I have to get out of bed at 1:30 AM, leave before 2:30, and drive 150 miles for dawn patrol; I have little sympathy for people who say they "can't" get there until 8 from Hood River or White Salmon and complain because the rest of us actually made the effort to beat the crowd.

Take yesterday. To bed at 10 PM, Up before 2 AM, hit the road just after 3, drove > 120 miles, picked my sailing spot and sail size in the dark by cell phone wind data, hit the water before sunrise, packed everything up and moved to find better conditions when that place got crowded and the wind and swell went to hell, sailed 'til after sunset, derigged two sails, and drove home.

What did I get for the effort? 4-5 hours completely alone on one sail on absolutely glassy swell at the first spot, another 4+ hours with a few friends on very good swell in steady wind at the second spot. Ya get what ya pay for.

WSing is much like our political choices: we can get mediocrity handed to us in a bland package or we can put out some effort and earn great rewards.

Mike \m/
blythefly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos to you if you can drive 120 miles after 4 hours sleep and then sail until dark. You're a better man than I!
andymc4610

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhhh, but the secret is to pack the car the night before, all you need to do is put ice in the cooler and grab your coffee. best session was early morning thursday at swell. It's only an hour from pdx, just think of it like going skiing do you sleep in and miss fresh tracks? No one is going to tell me it was better earlier.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blythefly wrote:
Kudos to you if you can drive 120 miles after 4 hours sleep and then sail until dark. You're a better man than I!

No, just maybe more dedicated, and after a few days in a row on that schedule, I sail closer to where I sleep, for safety. It's pretty surprising what we can do on little sleep if we're pumping out adrenaline. Only that, and the knowledge that soon we'll be praying for wind, gets me to a launch at dawn on successive days.

Mike \m/
markl759

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: hatch parking Reply with quote

Folks should just chill out and park a little closer. There really is plenty of room if people would not freek out about parking tight behind the RVs or close to other cars.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've gotten criticized for parking too closely by people who then couldn't squeeze between our front row vehicles. Ya can't win.

I consider it selfish, but people have every legal right to park at a launch and read a book all day. What is extremely obnoxious, IMO, is occupying parking space with carpets, awnings, furniture, sails, etc. I saw some people yelling at a guy running a 1kw Honda generator inside his vehicle for a few minutes, at midday, on a noisy holiday weekend with zero available parking -- while their motor coach, picnic table, chairs, awning, grille, and all-day party occupied about 5 painted parking spaces. Another guy staked out four parking spaces for his camper, truck, and carpet ... plus an extra space in case he wanted to park the truck in front of, rather then beside, his camper ... and notified park users that the public picnic table he placed on the grass behind his camper was his personal property for the week. I've even seen people try to save parking places for others still hours away. Some people simply have zero concern for others.

Mike \m/
windoggi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes Berkeley and Pt Isabel sound like heaven. Well, in some ways it is. Sort of. The wind, the view, the weeds (what is it with these weeds?) the dogs...oh Bela...good girl...her shit smells like ice cream. No RVs, unless you count the "urban campers" down at the marina. Five minutes from my house and few Canadians. That I'm aware of.
jesusjones

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blagh. blagh..too late, too lame bro.theres parking down there man, don't tell no one but it's better now......, thats right way down there. Have fun now. Don't invite no ticket takers now ya here.
tetiaroaxx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: GORGE GUIDE - DAS HATCH Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by tetiaroaxx on Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: