myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Need advice on shopping for a board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With several hundreds of miles of experience behind any sailor, the sequential approach to getting into the straps and harness may vary based upon lots of variables. The problem is beginners in short boarding or getting into the waves both have problems with hooking before strapping.

Beginnners in both venues get pulled over the front. Why? Gusts spank the newbies that don realise the importnce of MFP. Newbie wavers get stalled by incoming white waters, then slammed. By asking folks to try doing the straps first, they may use that technique throughout their WS experience when conditions get less than ideal or very challenging. Capice?

Seen accomplished flat water guys get spanked hard when all they ever knew was harness first and got into surf. Same ones get more catapults in gusty stormy stuff. Simple really.
acctx

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
I read, and generally agree with jingebritsen's previous comments and advise..........I have little doubt that his W/S experience is broader than my own. However, on this one I have some difficulty.

I have seen jb's " get in the straps before the harness" advice previously but when I ask (and observe) the people I sail with, many don't do that (these are advanced sailors who go out in tough conditions, plane through gybes etc.......however, we sail slalom, bump and jump more than waves). In my own case, I'm 200lbs and often use boards that are low volume in the tail (i.e. old!!). I've always felt that, after gybing, I want to get maximum power back on before getting back into the straps otherwise the tail will start sinking and I'll lose speed.......and in heavy winds, getting in the harness first takes the weight off my arms quickly and lengthens the session. It's a matter of only a second or two, but that sequence works best for me.

Just an observation.......I wonder if there is a consensus view on this?

It is hard to get into the straps before the harness when you have never gotten into the straps before. I was in the harness for around 5-7 sessions before getting in the straps. Once you are used to getting in the straps though and have the balance, you can get into the straps first then do the harness which feels a lot safer.
windsurfer_nut

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
jingebritsen wrote:
Step back and hang off the boom, arms straight out in front of you, like you have to walk with someone else's help. Your back foot should be your only one with pressure, with the boom becoming the crutch while you unweight your front foot while feeling around for that front strap. Back foot should be on the centerline between the sets of foot straps.

Newbies can research the archives of many windsurfing forums on this topic by substituting BFF for Method B and FFF for Method F. Put on your body armor and hip boots, however, as many FFF devotees can’t deal in an adult manner with anyone offering alternatives to their habits.

Mike \m/

Dang glad I'm not a newbie, sure makes my head spin.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally unreal, looking at isobars lengthly post, the attention required just looking and shifting though his post is at best an onerous test of one's spirit.

Realistically speaking, it's really not that difficult. Still though, I have to admit that I believe that's it about figuring things out for one's self. It's about feeling it, and making things happen.

I think most of us understand that time on the water is the secret.

Is isobars going to practically map your plan and strategies for success in the future?
jp5

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your weight 125L is a big board and as such would work well in light winds. Use a bigger fin with the 7.5 and a smaller one with the 5.5 and you have a good all-round board. If the price is right, buy it.

If you get pitched alot then get one of those deviator things.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
Beginnners in both venues get pulled over the front. Why? Gusts spank the newbies that don realise the importnce of MFP.

At the risk of ridicule.........and assuming it's printable in polite society........what does MFP stand for?
wooot

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mast Foot Pressure... trying to direct the sails force through the mast foot to drive the board forward.

Actually force fom you too. mostly through hanging (forward and downward) off the harness lines... to help keep the board flat when getting planing, and also extemely important when overpowered to help keep the nose down and prevent the dreaded wheelie.

Although... if you get a little to far foward.... well I dont even like to think about, let alone experience the Ol' fully powered, hooked in, harness line slam.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wooot wrote:
Mast Foot Pressure...

Ah.........of course (I'm always suspicious of acronyms containing MF!).

Not sure it helps to persuade me that moving to the rear of the board before hooking into the harness lines achieves MFP more promptly/ effectively and promotes speed out of the gybe. In the frequent strong winds we get here on the Outer Banks, "flatwater" sailors are moving fast over steep, heavy chop which often moves in erratic patterns........and gusts aren't restricted to the open ocean........so controlling the power in the sail can be challenging. Getting in the harness fast/ first after a maneuver works best for me to maintain that sail control and speed. It's an individual thing I guess!!

I agree that ocean shore break is a unique animal.......frankly, I usually don't hook in or get into the straps before I'm through it.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen various stages of beginners that get stuck under a glass ceiling over the years because of hooking in before getting in the straps in heavier conditions. As soon as I tell them to get in the front strap first, they resume advancing thru their skill sets. Yes, one can often first learn to hook in when winds are mellow without planing. But that sets the stage for lots to get slammed on heavier dayz.

Count how many boards over the years you've seen with smashed noses. Lots of those could have been prevented, had people used front foot first technique. Shoot, an accomplished friend of mine was complaining about near slams and a couple of real ones in some heavy gorge conditions of late. I asked him whether he was going back to surf sailing basics of hooking in last during the heaviest parts of those days. He said no.

mrgybe, you can doubt it, or you can validate it. Next time conditions are strong and rangy, try hooking in after your front foot is in. Then go across the street and do the same in the ocean. On lighter/steadier days, all bets can be off. I choose to stick to hooking after my front foot is in to keep my early planing and control optimal.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
Next time conditions are strong and rangy, try hooking in after your front foot is in. Then go across the street and do the same in the ocean.

I plan to do just that..........and if I find your way works better, I'll tell you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: