myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Mystery freestylers at HR Marina?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobgatpdx1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Mystery freestylers at HR Marina? Reply with quote

Anyone notice the JP sails doing spocks, vulcans and other fancy moves this afternoon? Andy Brandt and his ABK crew were tearing it up in the sketchy shallow waters of the Marina. Seems to be their private spot. They are doing two more clinics in HR this month: www.abkboardsports.com.

Remember "back in the day" when the Marina was THE spot to sail in the Gorge?
bobg
jota

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I remember being so psyched to get a primo front row parking spot at the marina! Then someone put in a plywood ramp off the berm where the event site is now (we called it "2nd Street") and we started going over there instead.

Of course we were going to the hatch and dougs back then too . . .
dWINDSURFINGYPSY

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:11 am    Post subject: mystery freestylers Reply with quote

They were out today, and the day before, I don't know why it was 4.5 on flat water over shallow ground, super gusty but there were more people with them today, on maui sails and windwings. It was totally better everywhere else! perfect swells at the hatch and they were fooling around in the marina ALL alone.
Then on Monday it was blowing 3.7 to totally destroyed everywhere on the river and Brendon was out on 5.6 and some guy on Naish was on 5.3 somtimes going way to fast for their own good, other times not even moving.

I think there is a reason nobody goes to the marina. The event site and the hatchery are the best, im glad someone put that piece of plywood over the berm.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free stylers like slicks, right? Makes sense to me.

Sorta like me down here in FL sometimes. I'll sacrifice some swell size to get side off, provided those spots I'm going to have something significant to seek. Side off here in humble FL often means gusty winds too, just like the Marina. Back in the heyday, sails were not twisty. Other launches required lots of rigging and rerigging as the wind came up and down. And, BAF'ing in a counter current, I guess, was novel enough for most way back when....

Few sailing areas in FL offer the array of venues to take advantage of like the Cape Canaveral area. Even fewer take advantage of all these spots have to offer. Cheers to the bunch that did the unusual stuff over there in the ditch.
rationalnational

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john do you ever NOT turn the subject around to draw the attention to yourself ?
thank goodness the marina that is mentioned here isn't in Florida.
btw, will you ever take your tremendous wave sailing skills to the west coast and show us how it's done ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: