myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Dougs was going off yesterday 4/12 Post some pics please!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jennyjane

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Dougs was going off yesterday 4/12 Post some pics please! Reply with quote

From about 1:00 on it was smoke on the water lots of hang time and some carnage. I saw a number of sails airborne. I also saw many photogs thruought the day.
andymc4610

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Sunday July 12th Reply with quote

jennyjane wrote:
From about 1:00 on it was smoke on the water lots of hang time and some carnage. I saw a number of sails airborne. I also saw many photogs thruought the day.

7/12....Sorry no pics but it was an incredible session, maybe the best of the year for me? kinda like hero snow (perfect snow), I would call it hero wind, could do no wrong.
trudyl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Pictures Reply with quote

Sorry, I didn't take any pictures yesterday, however got some footage of Whit Poor and Jake Miller at Dougs on Sunday. Will check tonight how the video turned out.
cgprint

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Smoke on the water till dark ! Reply with quote

I thought it was going to die... and then smoke on the water till dark!
Killleeerrr Doug's solo session !!!

Thumbs up to the 50+ SUP crew that came through.

- Francois

PS... I was the last one off the water and found some gear.
Call 541-386-5572 to claim.
trburl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Doug's Carnage Reply with quote

I saw some carnage at Doug's as well. I was actually part of it, from below. I threw a back loop, missed the landing, and was in the water getting my gear together when an innattentive sailor smashed into my head.

I was in the water, and was just 10 feet in the air inverted, yet the sailor still managed to not see me in anyway, and sail directly into me 2 seconds after I hit the water!!!!

It was very windy and obviously, there are quite a few Gorge sailors that can barely handle 35 MPH winds and can't compute anything but their own survival in those conditions.

I suffered a well bruised head, sore neck and a smashed nose on my board. A couple more inches and he could have broken my neck, as he landed right on the top of my head.

It was all I could do to not pound the guy right then and there. But I was dazed and tried to put myself in his shoes. Maybe he just got unlucky, but I suspect he was sailing above his level and couldn't handle all the factors.

In any event, a word to all of you Gorge sailors out there that get in the mix when a group of sailors are looping in every direction in 35 MPH winds.

Don't be a @#$%^&* kook and run into a downed sailor in the water. We are taking enough risk as it is, please respect us and don't sail into a looping frenzy unless you can control yourself and your gear.

I was lucky, he just ruined my session, I think I am OK. Although my neck is quite sore, but it could have been a lot worse. If you can't hang, don't mow the lawn in the middle of the meaty swell and sail directly behind people that are looping. I had the right of way, was down in the water, and got tagged.

Just becuase you can waterstart and jibe 50% of the time in high winds, doesn't mean you are ready to sail in close proximity to sailors that are going off on a 3.0 day.

I do not champion localism, everyone should get to play anywhere they want. If they have the skill.....

But when you become a liability to yourself and people around you because you can't hang (when the skilled sailors around you are looking like drapery), please realize it and stay out of the way.

Or maybe you'll do more damage than a nose ding, a golf ball bruise, and a sore neck on a very understanding sailors head.....

Last edited by trburl on Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
cagjr21150

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xxx

Last edited by cagjr21150 on Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: I agree with trburl. Reply with quote

If you are out in big fat swell and strong winds, look around. Look upwind and downwind FREQUENTLY, especially if your style is the ole back and forth "mowing". Big fat swell and strong winds are meant for jumping and surfing. There will be downed sailors in the water and surfers enjoying the swell rides. If you feel you can't take your eyes off the chop in front of you for fear of wiping out, maybe you shouldn't be out there in the first place.

Look upwind and downwind!
(This applies to the hotshots as well who sometimes have blinders on as they scan chop for the perfect ramp.)

If you want to waste the swell and wind (or simply are not interested in surfing and jumping in super-strong winds), try mowing someplace else, such as the Event Site, The Dalles Waterfront Park, Rock Creek/Mosier, or Celilo. Thanks.
HeyYou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look before you leap!!
trudyl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Small clip of Whit Poor Reply with quote

Here is a small clip of Whit Poor at Dougs on 7-12-09

http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k80/trudylary/Gorge%20Clips/?action=view&current=Whit2.flv
andymc4610

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No less guilty than the "lawn mowers" or the sailors with terror in there eyes are the freestylers packed into one small section. There is a section between Rowena and Doug's West that is wide open. but don't tell anyone that cause that's where I am. Wink

Wow what a nice day....I forgot what warm water was like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: