myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wyeth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blythefly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Wyeth Reply with quote

Anyone know of any developments with Wyeth as possible river access? Shocked

I was researching sites and found this:
https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&tab=core&id=8a88961b2bb3005ae1ab6bbdaea8e89a&_cview=1

I thought that a deal for OPRD (Oregon Parks and Recreation) to get that land for a park had been nixed by the railroad years ago. Maybe we'll be able to thank Obama for a new site near the Narrows in a few years?
jedi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other treaty access sites along the river are access for indian fishing only. they have added them to existing parks, like celilo, 3-mile, koberg, and across the river at the White salmon. Those are access for indian fishing only and those portions have been fenced off and closed for non- tribal memebers. The narrows site was pretty good, i have many memories of sessions there. I dont think we're getting more access, it looks like the trend lately is for less unfortunatly.
WMP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wyeth was used by the railroad for a tie-treating operations around 1900. Large quantities of creosote were dumped along that site, they only recently got that mess cleaned up. Oregon Parks and Recreation had an offer to buy the land and also had a plan (few years ago) to split the waterfront into a tribal fishing area w/ boat ramp to the west... and a day use area to the east. I haven't heard anything since about 2004, maybe they are finally getting the plan started now?

Wyeth would make a great launch site in both east winds and west winds.... much better wind quality than Home Valley across the river.
blythefly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be wishful thinking but it sounds like more than just fishing access. If they're doing this just to meet treaty requirements why would they include campsites?

"The primary requirement in this solicitation is design and construction of a large span bridge (minimum 130-feet span) over an active Railroad (existing 3 lines)., Other work shall include in-water work including but not limited to a boat ramp, dock, and wave protection works in the Columbia River, upland site development; roadway, parking, campsites."
westender

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTF? If the gate is open you just find a spot to park and carry your gear down over the rocks and launch. I see the fishermen driving up and down along the tracks to their spots so why not you?
windsurfer_nut

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they used to lock in the windsurfers at that gate.
Bret

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hippies used to smoke grass there
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
WTF? If the gate is open you just find a spot to park and carry your gear down over the rocks and launch. I see the fishermen driving up and down along the tracks to their spots so why not you?

Probably for the same reason we don't use McCredie's or Low Rocks or the other wild spots way out east any more: For most of us, not even their incredible swell is worth Federal raps, huge fines, and ever-increasing enforcement. It ticks me off to see non-native fishermen go unharrassed while we get busted. Even the residents of nice homes on the banks of the Columbia are forbidden by federal law, enforced by the Corps of Engineers, from accessing the river 10 meters from their lawns. The only way I've gotten around that was knocking on the door of the man who wrote that law >50 years ago and asking his widow if I could launch from her lawn; seems he excluded his home from that law. It's THAT tough to gain fresh access to the river.

Mike \m/
eastfork

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please explain more isobars
windoggi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vectorfins wrote:
Please explain more isobars

Be carefull what you wish for.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: