myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The Gorge on the Weather Channel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject: The Gorge on the Weather Channel Reply with quote

The Weather Channel ran a piece on the Gorge, I-windsurf and our sport. However, I thought it was somewhat dated because I didn't see any kiters. Just another summer re-run?
GarryW

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The program wasn't dated. Most of the footage was shot in the summer of 2007. The reason you don't see kiters is because they produced a separate 30 minute program on kiting that was shot in Cape Hatteras. The whole series "Epic Conditions" is available in a really cool box set. I bought one at Best Buy for around $16.00.
melmunson

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must be referring to "Epic Conditions"? It was from 2008 and they have a separate one on Kiteboarding from the "mecca of kiteboarding", the Outer Banks.

Thanks for asking, because I missed the one from the Gorge and was waiting to see it in full since catching a glimpse online.
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. Some of the aerial footage showed hordes of windsurfers and no kites. Is that what it's like in the Gorge at certain spots? Actually, I left for the water before I saw the whole half hour. I had a superb day windsurfing here on Cape Cod. It's good to know that I might be able to see the whole thing again, though. It's great watching so many attempt jumps and fail, too. :wink:
melmunson

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Epic days at the Hatchery or Doug's Beach hordes of windsurfers is the norm, with few, if any (meaning maybe 1 or 2) kiters. Epic days usually means winds upper 20s or stronger and huge swell. The number of kiters in these conditions is growing but it's still a small number.
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I had another stellar day on Cape Cod with an 8.4 yesterday. No need for me to make the trek to the Columbia R. but this piece would be worth seeing in it's entirety.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: