myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
light wind: windsurfing more days, kiting a few less
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billgfc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: light wind: windsurfing more days, kiting a few less Reply with quote

I am baffled why light winds are called kite weather. Windsurfers plane earlier , go faster in lighter wind and you can get more days on a good modern windsurfer.

Yes, kites work great in light wind are tons of fun, so not knocking kiting.

Whatever sport you like on the water, it would be great to keep the facts straight, educate, not just subconsciously pander to sport preference.

Yesterday, I was in Stevenson at
Bob s Beach from about 10 to 5. There were about 15 to 20 windsurfers over the course of the day. the wind came up at just after 8a. Sail sizes ranged from 7.8 t0 5.8 or so. Boards were 85 to about 122. There was sailing until around 2 30 or so. Barely a kiter to be seen... come on kiters too

Usually the lot is full, but iwindsurf could show more stoke for enjoying all winds regardless of sport.

On the water beats the beach.
peternajim

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed that as kiters improve, they mostly prefer the same minimum wind strength as windsurfers of 18-20, since at lower wind the that, the kite moves too slowly.
billgfc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah yes interesting

maybe then might enjoy fast ws gear or practice freestyle with right stuff all good

we get 15 too 20 mph on ws gear in 6 to 10 or so
above that 15 to 34 mph when winds in teens, occasionally 3x speed of wind rec gear can get within 10 % or so of that

and freestyle from 10 and up... 90 to 120 liters or so for fun or?/
andymc4610

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiters have more range. to me this is an odd thread. at least for planning the kite is way more powerful than a sail.

And nobody was forecasting any real east wind.....
billgfc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kites have less range I have been out many times on windsurfing gear when kites were beached and I have planed, measured with gps and wind meter, if wind drops below 4, I can still get in, does not work on a kite and you will swim.

winds were forecast in teens yesterday, problem is when wind is in teens, forecast here often implies you cannot sail.

The documentation shows windsurfers have more range from zero to hurricane force.

What you choose to sail or kite is up to you, but lets keep facts straight.

In the bigger scheme both sports have lots of range and I encourage Iwindsurf to show enthusiasm for all wind. That way everyone can enjoy their favorites more and spend less time on the beach
andymc4610

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is silly, anyone can be out bobbing around in 2mph on a piece of drift wood. The low end kite has much more range, there power range is undisputed. If you think any sail can match a kite in power, you are daft......
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andymc4610 wrote:
anyone can be out bobbing around in 2mph on a piece of drift wood

Can a kite be slogged in @ 2 mph? At what point does a big kite fall out of the sky?

Mike \m/
WMP

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: light wind: windsurfing more days, kiting a few less Reply with quote

billgfc wrote:
I am baffled why light winds are called kite weather. Windsurfers plane earlier , go faster in lighter wind and you can get more days on a good modern windsurfer.

I am baffled why most folks think 'good, modern' gear is so much better than older gear. Last Monday I did an upwinder / downwinder from Home Valley to Stevenson.... nobody else out there 'cept a few kiters... perfectly dialed on my old '95 5.7 Northwave sail using an old mid-80's 130 liter Southwinds custom glass board made in Florida. This old glass board gets up and going on a plane like no other board, has plenty of speed, jibes super smooth & easy..... best of all, it glides through chop as smooth as a hot knife through butter. They certainly don't make 'em like this anymore!! Bought it for $250 back in '92... the sail I got for FREE from a kiter who had no use for old, no good windsurfing gear anymore.... HA!!

BTW, this is a board I showed you, Bill, long time ago.... you said it was a BAD design. Well, I'm still having a blast on it.

- WMP
billgfc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL I may have said bad design relative to other options, I would likely say same thing again, but so what?

It doesn't matter what I think... you love your old board and are having a great time. Now... I would challenge you to meet me on the beach in light wind. Take your stuff out with gps and then I will loan you some new demo gear and you could compare and publish the results.

No matter what you conclude, you like your gear and its fun, all good

I do stand by what I said about kiting vs. windsurf as far as lightest wind. I have observed first hand and measured with gps, wind meter on board and also measure velocity of the current.

In that very light weather , kiting as now practiced is slower, very slow.
That said when wind are very light.

I am just saying calling light winds kite weather is a joke. Both sports work well in light winds,, just get out in all conditions and enjoy:)
WMP

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billgfc wrote:
LOL <snip> Now... I would challenge you to meet me on the beach in light wind. Take your stuff out with gps and then I will loan you some new demo gear and you could compare and publish the results.

Sure thing... I've heard this all before (from Bonzer nut Mike). I'll take your challenge if you're really serious.... next time it blows 25 at Stevenson. Fact, I'd like to have a little race from HV to Bob's Beach and back to HV.

Are you game? Let's compare.

- WMP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: