myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Extended forcast for the gorge July 6th thuogh the 13th
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andymc4610

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the Swell/hatch sensor is to far off it is just sometimes the wind line is way out and short of putting the sensor on a buoy in the middle of the river, it's the best one can expect.

Jones reads 10mph low.....not to mention nuclear alley is the windy side
wmike

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the Swell sensor seems to be fairly close to what I see and sail. I have been watching the sensor and the river since ISOBARS complained about the sensor a month or so ago. It has been gusty but it is sailable. (The Wall became gusty unsailable Monday afternoon).

And the Jones beach sensor is actually about 1/4 mile down wind from the Nuke Alley launch and in a wind shadowed yard. The max reading is closer to the actual reading.

It is not the tradewinds in the gorge. I spent the winter in Maui and it was gusty there also. Locals hated it but it was smooth sailing to us that als sail the gorge.

Of course all this is my opinion.

Mike
scottwerden

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the sensor notes for Swell City:

"Figure that readings averaging 23-25 will indicate 5.0m sailing on an 8’6" (260 cm - 80 liter) board. Winds blowing SW, W, and NW are all picked up nicely at this sensor site but be aware that conditions downwind at the Hatchery can differ. Also worthy of note is the height of the sensor above the river (approximately 10m) and this translates to the fact that windspeed differences may exist between the sensor location and the water's surface (sailing area)."

I don't agree with the part about 23-25 indicates a 5.0 - more like 4.7 for me, and 4.2 for smaller guys. Other than that, the sensor seems about right to me. I really don't care if it is exact as long as I know what the conversion factor is for each site to know whether it is worth a drive or not.
blythefly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottwerden wrote:
Here are the sensor notes for Swell City:
I don't agree with the part about 23-25 indicates a 5.0 - more like 4.7 for me, and 4.2 for smaller guys. Other than that, the sensor seems about right to me. I really don't care if it is exact as long as I know what the conversion factor is for each site to know whether it is worth a drive or not.

In my experience, the conditions at the Hatchery seem to be a little bit windier with sail sizes in line with what Scott said above. And the description does state that it can be different at the Hatchery.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: