myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Vacation for Nov - January
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl wrote:
Isobar's Maui winter fear comments are somewhat over stated. It's really not that dismal and must be based on very limited experience. Not sure what the motivation is but he's had negative comments about Maui winter for years.

All I'm saying is that one must consider wind direction and surf conditions when considering WSing vacations to Maui. My motivation includes making travelers aware that July and January are not the same, as some inquirers in the past didn't know, and having been there as two WSers were medevaced -- one barely alive, one dead -- from the "kiddie pool" aka Kanaha in 15 kt northerly breezes not uncommon in the fall and early winter.

"Fear"? No, facts.
"Overstated"? Tell that to their families.

Mike
mamalam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Costa Rica is really amazing. I sailed at Lake Arenal and had a good time. Some pros train on the coast, with consistent waves and winds but I don't know the exact locations. I like La Ventana and Margarita Island as well but the wind isn't the same.

For an exotic adventure, consider Southeast Asia. Penghu island of Taiwan is reliably windy in the winter, for hours each day, strong (guys on 4.0's) to very strong (guys on sub 3.0's) with waves and awesome jumping ramps. After a few days of that, hop to a mellower wind location like Vietnam. It's an experience of a life time. Don't worry about language barrier. Body language works very well.

China Airline has flights from SFO at midnight, arriving Taiwan their next morning. Get on a smaller plane to Penghu Island and sail same day. Vietnam is just a short flight from Taiwan and China Airline has daily flights there. Tickets now are very reasonable. Other airlines use similar routes if you prefer not to use China Airline.
dabull1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

COSTA RICA!!!
bobstevens

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Vietnam Reply with quote

mamalam wrote:
John,

Costa Rica is really amazing. I sailed at Lake Arenal and had a good time. Some pros train on the coast, with consistent waves and winds but I don't know the exact locations. I like La Ventana and Margarita Island as well but the wind isn't the same.

For an exotic adventure, consider Southeast Asia. Penghu island of Taiwan is reliably windy in the winter, for hours each day, strong (guys on 4.0's) to very strong (guys on sub 3.0's) with waves and awesome jumping ramps. After a few days of that, hop to a mellower wind location like Vietnam. It's an experience of a life time. Don't worry about language barrier. Body language works very well.

China Airline has flights from SFO at midnight, arriving Taiwan their next morning. Get on a smaller plane to Penghu Island and sail same day. Vietnam is just a short flight from Taiwan and China Airline has daily flights there. Tickets now are very reasonable. Other airlines use similar routes if you prefer not to use China Airline.

Which are the best Vietnam spots?
tstizzle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been to both jericoacoara and lake arenal in costa rica numerous times in the nov-jan time frame. both are excellent and guaranteeed wind. jeri is more approachable and typically 4.5 weather (i weigh 200 lbs) and arenal is more like 4.0 weather.

the benefit to these places is the added bonus of enjoying a culturally different locale and all the myriad exploring opportunities that goes along with it. it's not just the U.S. with tuna poke.

the problem, as faradroka can attest, is the, shall we say, "abundance" of wind in costa rica. sometimes it's simply too much.
tstizzle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tstizzle wrote:
sometimes it's simply too much.

did i just actually say that?
mamalam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Vietnam Reply with quote

Which are the best Vietnam spots?[/quote]

I went to Mui Ne Bay three times, all in January. Unlike Jaipal, the wind was light for me all those times. Waves weren't that great and shore break was intense.

Once at Mui Ne Bay, you can arrange with the rental shops to take you else where, which I think is where Jaipal refers to.

I travelled extensively throughout Vietnam and found several locations windy. Unfortunately, my traditional family would not allow their "little girl" to rough play with mother nature. It's very easy and affordable to rent a SUV or alike with the driver and just explore. One of these days, I am going to do it. Ticket there is expensive but once there, your expense is relatively low and the experience is phenomenal.
Jaipal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Vietnam Reply with quote

bobstevens wrote:
mamalam wrote:
John,

Which are the best Vietnam spots?

Vietnam catches the North Eastern Monsoon in our winter. It blows hard like clockwork. Particularly Jan and Feb. [Oops. Sorry to the person that got skunked there - three times! FYI El Nino years are not the best for Asia. Warmer WestPac lowers the gradients.]

Mui Ne bay is 180km North of Saigon. Plenty of resorts. Plenty of gear to rent. (See link on my previous post.) Tons of sailors.

Mui Ne is pretty much flat water on the inside. It gets huge rolling swells on the outside. The fetch is lined up perfectly to turn 35kts into said swells.

Fifteen km to the North and about forty km to the South there are wave sailing spots. Suoi Nuoc and "The cemetery" are to the North, Ke Ga to the South. Suoi Nuoc can get double black diamond with mast and a half short-period windswell. Onshore. Think Ocean Beach on a really heavy day but port tack. I have had some of my most intense sailing days ever there.

On the way to Suoi Nuoc you will find a sweet un-named spot right past the red sand dunes. You need to have your driver park on the side of the road near the railing and walk down. Much more in control wave riding.

Like I mentioned I spent years sailing there. Drop me note and I'll send you some pictures or more details.

-J

Last edited by Jaipal on Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:34 am; edited 2 times in total
tstizzle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bosie wrote:
I'd echo faradroka; I sailed at Arenal in CR in late Jan.-early Feb. this year, and got blown off the water -- three days on a 3.2, one on a 2.9.

bosie - what days were you there? i was there jan 25 - feb 17.
romys

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Vietnam Reply with quote

Hi Jaipal,

I just sent you a pm asking for more info on Mui Ne Bay. I'm attending a wedding in Manila in September and I'm thinking of doing a sidetrip to Mui Ne for a week with my windsurfing buddy. Would really appreciate any info.

Thanks,
Romy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: