myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
skunked at TI
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tstizzle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a note of caution about vhf radios for those of you who need to acquire one: many now come with MURS and/or FRS bands. these are short-range, open bands for use talking to other handhelds within range. nice, but there's a limitation.

because these bands are in use for private communication, the fcc has limited the signal strength that can be used on them. to ensure no one boosts power, these radios come without removable antennas so that the signal cannot be boosted.

now you have a radio that is something like 8, and often 12, inches tall and will require you carry it in something other than the piggyback waist harness pack.[/i]
WindDoll

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Look for your rig around Isabel/Marina Bay. A lot of stuff ends up there . . . dead bodies . . . no, really! (Lacy Peterson was one.) It was awesome there yesterday. I sailed upwind from the launch to Berkeley reef on a 75 Quatro FSW and 4.1 Bash.
dperzinski

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: radios Reply with quote

West Marine has the ICOM-M72 radio for 199. They also sell a Standard Horizons HX850S, floating, with intregal GPS for 249.00. Has anyone heard of this one? I think the GPS might worth the extra 50.

Dave P
tstizzle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tstizzle wrote:
a note of caution about vhf radios for those of you who need to acquire one: many now come with MURS and/or FRS bands. these are short-range, open bands for use talking to other handhelds within range. nice, but there's a limitation.

because these bands are in use for private communication, the fcc has limited the signal strength that can be used on them. to ensure no one boosts power, these radios come without removable antennas so that the signal cannot be boosted.

now you have a radio that is something like 8, and often 12, inches tall and will require you carry it in something other than the piggyback waist harness pack.[/i]

thanks, tstizzle. btw, you sound really smart.
diannesf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the discussion about the North/South currents. One thing that helped me tremendously over the years is a map (several, actually) of the currents in different spots during each hour of ebb and flood. They're easy to find, and are usually in each year's tide book.

It's pretty amazing how the currents change and move around, especially true near land masses (Alcatraz, TI, Crissy shoreline, etc.) and if you are familiar with the currents and back eddies in these places, you can get yourself in by using them to your advantage. I thought after way too many years of racing all over the Bay I knew them well, but I learned even more over the Winter by cruising around on my SUP board. Just standing there and seeing where the currents take you and how much stronger they are in different places at different times is pretty fascinating.

That being said, I still haven't gone out on a flood at TI...but I will check my currents map if I ever do!
greytwhyte

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, this thread got me to check my marine radio thoroughly. I normally just make sure it turns on to channel 16 before I put it around my neck and stuff down my wetsuit like Victor mentioned. I've always kept it in an aquapak and it is "submersible"; however, I discovered that my aquapak has been leaking. So, while the radio turns on it is apparantly stuck on the Canadian setting and there is quite a bit of salt water corrosion on the inside. Even though I'm Canadian, I don't think trying to reach the Canadian coast gaurd is going to help if I'm in the middle of the Bay.

So, check your packs and rinse your radios and if throwing your gear in from an elevated launch don't hook your uphaul.

Thanks for reminding me Kev. I had just gotten over the nightmares. Smile At least cold water helps control bleeding so I was still able to get in a sesh with my buddy Sascha that day. One of the few who would launch from 13th in a flood with me.
koogzah

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinkan wrote:

I think everybody had their own FUBAR story at this site...

Ok, given Kevin's prompt ant the title of the thread, I'll share...

I was sailing TI couple of seasons back with radross on an ebb in marginal wind. It was one of my first times at TI and, although it may be hard to believe, I was even less skilled than I am now...

We stayed out a little too long and I soon found myself watching His Radness just make it around the breakwater into the cove as it totally shut down. I fell, then struggled for what seemed like a half hour trying to water start, steadily slipping towards the Gate on the ebb about a hundred yards north of the island. Radross tried to convince some Coast Guard guys who happened to have just hauled out their big inflatable on the TI ramp to rescue me, but they did not think the situation looked dire enough at that point and told him to call 911 if I wasn't in before sundown. (Thanks, guys. I owe you one...)

Just as I was about to begin what seemed like an impossible swim back in against the current, a big motor yacht named the Carrie D. Away came up and asked if I needed any help. I climbed up on their back swim platform, hauled up my still rigged gear, and was handed a cold beer as they motored me into the cove then backed right up onto the ramp. Sweet.

The moral of the story: If you are going to get stranded off TI, either (a) carry a radio or (b) make sure there is a large motor yacht standing by, stocked with cold beer. Cool
bob1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Can people tell me the brand of pack they use to carry their VHF? I had a Dakine pack that was caribiner'ed to my harness and it came apart. Luckily I had my radio in a waterproof pack. The Dakine fanny pack seems to be no good anymore.

I've tried several methods, but settled on AquaPac's "Small VHF Pro" case (see "http://www.aquapac.net/"). I have used this flexible, watertight case successfully with my ICOM-M72 for years. Various on-line retailers carry it for about $50-60. The tri-strap fastening system allows you pull over your head quickly and affix radio to the small of your back, just above the waist harness and between the shoulder blades -- it's snug, out of the way and easy to get to in an emergency. I sail pretty hard (lot's of jumps), and with wetsuit and 3-way cinch, I don't even know it's there -- I added a small piece of neoprene inside case btwn radio and bag for added cushion, but not really necessary.

Aqua Pac's customer service has been great too. I broke a strap clip once and a new one was sent w/in a week. I also popped the seal and got a small leak 2 months ago, and they sent me a brand-new case for free (there's a 3-year warranty).

However you attach your radio, follow Todd's advice and check it EVERY time you go out. I always turn on, ensure it's set to Channel 16 (USCG) and that battery charge is good, before I head out . . . good luck.
seablind

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echoing some others here: the ICOM M-72 is a great radio and is "submersible" - so it will work when it gets wet. Corrosion from salt will kill it however, so rinsing with fresh water is key. Carrying it in an aquapac keeps the radio dry and free from corrosion, and the aquapac also blocks wind noise.

Corrosion from salt water killed my radio this year. West Marine replaced it, no questions asked.

As for how to carry the radio, many of us have packs made by airwave (you can look for their ad on this site). The packs attach to your harness, and have a release buckle on one side so that you can swing it around to the front without losing the pack or the radio if you need to call. Enough room to also carry a strobe light, extra line, compass, whistle - or whatever small items you think you might want to have handy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: