myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How old is too old?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A college bud told me upon graduation that, "Well, it's time to hit the recliner. It's all downhill from here." Pressed for details, he went on about how our active lives are behind us, that it's just beer and TV ahead of us. I kept waiting for the punchline, but there was none. He was serious.

I'm guessing Hal died of boredom and/or obesity many years ago.

Mike \m/
jsampiero

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to consider myself an open, tolerant, non-racist, lover-of-man-kind yaddayaddayadda - but there is one kind of human being I can't stand:

Those who wax on about how college was the best times of their life.

Screw. That. Get that mindset, and, as isobars said, you're doomed to death by obesity and/or boredom.

Sad to say, a lot of my college buds have already fallen into that category. (And I'm only 4 years removed from school!) Hanging out with them isn't always boring... it's depressing. I stopped entreating them to join me for surfing or windsurfing or basketball or anything-to-peel-their-eyes-offa-sportscenter long ago.

Anyhoo, off to the gym, or maybe a paddle!
whitevan01

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with all of the above posters about age, forget about it. no excuses, just get out and do it. I first windsurfed in my mid-30's. went back to sail boat racing, 18 years later, I'm back in to windsurfing for the third year in a row. van and all the crap. I'm now 53 and about to start making planing jibes, hopefully this summer.

I can't believe how many people so much younger than me think they are so old. its all in the mind.

have phun everyone!
keycocker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 72 year old uncle was a good student. When he needed a fin and didn't know where to get one he shaped one by hand in one morning looking at a picture of one. He was a newbie so he didn't know you "don't do that"
It works fine so he still uses it.
Captain Greg won the US championship a few years ago at 60.That earned him a slot in the PWA, where he still competes. An article in Windsurf named him the oldest rookie.
Problem is he got hurt this season so he is out for a while. Being old makes you more fragile but we have a class at the Maui Race Series for over 60 and there are some very fast guys in that class.
I wonder how many posters here can outrun Greg.
beallmd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I still sail my butt off anytime I get even decent conditions, but man does it hurt as I get older. When it is awesome as Rio was the last two days I sail as much as my 57 year old body will allow. Same with deep powder. Just go all out and recover over a few days. It's worth it. After all you never know when it will that good again. Even on Maui there are awesome days and half ass days. On the HA days just sail enough to make yourself happy, but on the great days wipe yourself out! That's the way I approach it. BTW I find a lot of slogging hurts just as much.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't slog, so what leaves me the most tired the next day is unusually gusty days, on which I'm way overpowered much of the time and the water is unusually choppy.

Soreness is a personal variable. Most people, even young Hatchery Rats who sail every windy day all season out of their home's tailgate, get sore from it. Some people don't get sore from it, and I've never found an explanation for the difference.

Mike \m/
keycocker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some sailors relax those muscles they aren't using and remain calm and loose, while others are tense all over at all times even when they aren't getting beat up. Dropping one hand off the booom at times reminds my inner maniac that this is just a long reach. not an emergency dash.
clarencephil

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: How old is too old? Reply with quote

mtnrunner wrote:
I started to learn windsurfing a few years ago. Got to the point I could water start but wasn't able to get in the straps or jibe. Now I am looking at the possibility of taking up windsurfing again and finishing what I started. However I am now 42 years old. Wondering if I have enough years left to get fairly good. And by the time I get fairly good hopefully have enough years left to enjoy my new skills. My ultimate goal would to become good enough to do a little wave sailing. Are there many windsurfers out there in their 50's or maybe even 60's that are sailing at a fairly high level?

Come on, get serious
I'm 58 and have windsurfed since 1984. I'm leaving on my 10th trip to Maui next week, and don't worry I do keep up with my 'young' friends.
Plus for good measure, I also started kitesurfinfg 2 years ago.
Between windsurfing and kiting, I go out about 40 to 50 times /year
WindSapien

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's too cold....Yer too old.. Just thought I'd throw that little tid bit in there...WS
geohaye

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but you've got to be f*&)ing crazy if you think 42 is old.

Less harsh now:
Sailing with windsurfers much older than me for the last 20 years has been a never-ending source of inspiration. SO HERE'S TO ALL YOU GUYS!!!

Sure, I'm finally older than some of the other guys now, but we've all got plenty of time left. But we should pretend that we don't: Find ways to hit the water more! Let the lawn die. Fry that remote control in the microwave. Buy more clothes (as needed) on the way home from the beach each night so that you can skip doing your laundry until the damn pile wakes you up at night..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: