myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How old is too old?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
outcast

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuWcwaZvuTU

do yoga

braden

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started at age 41; now 65. It would be harder to learn now, all that uphauling is really hard on the back. I have had 24 years of a wonderful sport and hope to manage 10 more. As someone else said, windsurfing is a great incentive to stay in shape. I would be even older than I am if I hadn't taken it up!!
mtnrunner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input everyone. I live in a land locked state and it will probably take a few years for me to get to where I want to be with my windsurfing skills. One thing I have to my advantage is already being in good shape. I've been a fairly serious long distance trail runner for the last few years. I'm actually in a lot better shape that I was in my 20's and I weigh less than when I graduated from high school.
bajaguy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In La Ventana on the Sea of Cortez, southern Baja, there are several windsurfers who are in their 70's. Ken who drove his motorhome down each winter from Port Angeles, Washington, sailed and rode dirt bikes until he was 82. We lost him to cancer last year, but everyone who knew him celebrates his life. Sounds to me like you've got decades to develop your skills, so get out there. If you didn't know how old you were...how old would you be?
d0uglass

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where I windsurf in Florida almost everybody is over 50, including the top formula racers. (Formula is one of the most physically challenging windsurfing disciplines.) At the local launch there are several guys in their 70s who sail very well, and one 83 year old woman who still gets out. 42 is young in this sport, dude. You've definitely still got time to become a high level racer or wavesailor.

Just make sure you have gear that will get you out on the water a lot in your local conditions. For you that probably means big stuff, like longboard or formula board and extra large sails, like 9+ msq.
windward1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurfing is the Fountain of Youth. Do it regularly and you will appear younger than those who age around you. So do not waste any time. Get started again. The fact that you can already water start puts you ahead of the game.
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't anyone ever tell you that life begins at 40?
btbill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it! Very Happy Very Happy

Here in Hatteras, at 39.5 yrs old, I am on the "younger" side of the scale for the local wavesailing crew! We have one guy I think is approaching 70 who is always out at the Lighthouse, or Ego in the surf, along with another in his mid 50s who attacks literally anything mother nature throws at us in the waves! He always has a cooler of Busch Lite in the truck too!

Don't forget, Don Bowers in his 50s who is our master FWD looper!

You have plenty of time to improve the skills after 40! Heck, I am looking forward to adding a few more wave and aerial tricks to my skill set once I pass the 40 yr old mark! Very Happy

Bill
www.obxbeachlife.com

Last edited by btbill on Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:06 am; edited 1 time in total
pueno

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailing wrote:
Didn't anyone ever tell you that life begins at 40?

But what about you, Brucie?
lrrry

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: How old is too old? Reply with quote

mtnrunner wrote:
Are there many windsurfers out there in their 50's or maybe even 60's that are sailing at a fairly high level?

Yes,
There's lots of us. Just go to a meet where they have age group sailing....
I'm 63 and out plaining, jibing and waterstarting all the time. By buddies, who are older, leave me in the dust, and a lot of them are kiting, too.

When Im not on the board sailing, I'm on my snowboard....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: