myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
anyone else considering suicide from lack of wind?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marccoe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: anyone else considering suicide from lack of wind? Reply with quote

Can one of the meteorlogists comment on this? I've been riding for more than ten years and never remember a stretch of no wind like this in June before! Usually here in NJ in June we are riding 3-5 days a week of 20+ Oh when will it end?????
SteveFoy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a bad stretch of no wind mid-summer but never in June. Yeah, we just had some big winds from our ocean storm, but sailing in a cold rain can only do much for my psyche. It's definitely got me down.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, it's bad. Initially they were forecasting it to blow NE 20+ from last Saturday through Monday, but it all fizzled out. Only a handful of sailable days in June and a ton of rain Crying or Very sad and the extended forecast is very bleak. I can't believe the month is almost over. It was a pretty weak spring IMO, hopefully summer will be better.

sm
outcast

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surf has been killer.....waitng for wind is a crummy way to live
windtrip

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weather experts,

Is there any chance that all this rain has kept the water cold longer than usual? If so does that mean that we could have late afternoon thermals blowing later in the summer - perhaps well into July?

Any shred of hope you can offer? We are suffering here in NJ.
rswabsin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you're right the wind has been really lacking in June. But luckily I picked up one of the Kona longboard wave boards back in May. I've been able to take it out on those somewhat lame 8-15 knot days in small surf and have had a blast. In those winds, you plane off about 30% of the time (with a 6.5 sail) using the swells to pump yourself onto a plane coming into the beach. I can't wait to give it a try in steadier winds but for now it eliminates the skunk factor and gets you out on the water in light winds especially on those summer sea-breeze days. Even is sub-planing winds, these boards sail really well upwind and can punch thru some hefty surf.

Rob
d0uglass

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I hear ya. I was going nuts because of the windless pattern that started up here in FL at the beginning of May.

http://jimbodouglass.blogspot.com/2009/06/wind-withdrawal-dealing.html

March and April had been so good that I had become a 15 knots minimum / 6.6 sail maximum snob.

When it all shut off it took me about a month to adjust my strategy and expectations. Kona longboard waveriding, sailing formula, and scuba diving saved me.

-James
bred2shred

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, it's been like 3-1/2 weeks since I've had a foot in a footstrap. At least I had the Hobie racing to get me through the past few weekends (although that just ended 'till August).

National weather is calling for 5 to 10 max for the extended period and iwindsurf says mild winds through the extend period. I'd be happy with a 15kt thermal on an 8.0 and slalom board, or 10-15 on the SUP longboard (if there were waves), but it's been so inconsistent and rainy there just haven't been any seabreezes or good wind-producing cold fronts. Just crappy wet E & SE wind.

sm
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're still fiending- looks like some good breeze coming up down here in Hatteras for the next few days... Southwest, warm, small waves if you want 'em. Could be just what the doctor ordered!
btbill

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, luckily our footstraps have remained relatively damp here in Hatteras, though the sessions have been far spaced.

For June, I have 5 days in the calendar, though last year I only had 7. However 5 of the days last year were consecutive during the late month Bermuda High we had visit during the last week of the month. 5.0m and down every day!

So far this year, we have not seen a strong BH setup yet?!

Note: for the 6.0m+/100ltr+ sailors, likely Hatteras would have offered many more days of fun sailing in June this year.

PS: Right now (4:00pm) at Oregon Inlet: 18 SSW (13-20) !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: