myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
When Will We See the First Summer Bermuda High?!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingjoe wrote:
Never has so much been offered and so little read. There's an old Indian saying that goes >>No Man Knows the ways of the wind or the Caribou<<. Is that mis-information? Whatever, try reading my Riding with the Moose post on the Sebastian Inlet thread.

It's not misinformation but a metaphor, Mr. GPA.

Did you make it to the Tall Ships? I looked for flotsam but didn't see you.
outcast

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next week Bill,

Next week. It's coming.

btbill

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmm, mmmm, mmmm looks like FINALLY we have a strong summer Bermuda High setting up! Time to pack the 4.7m!!

Surf here on the OBX too!! Very Happy Very Happy

Gonna be a FUN weekend, and upcoming week!!!! Very Happy Very Happy
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I know it, a Bermuda high alone isn't enough to generate winds. In fact, it is a no wind situation for a large portion of the Atlantic coastal region. If it sets up with a low system to the north like it is now, there will develop a flow of tight isobars between the two. Combine that with thermal sea breezes, you have good sailing. However, a Bermuda high alone is what made Bermuda such an attractive resort for honeymooners. The weather remains calm, peaceful and rather seductive for a long period of time. Of course I have never claimed that I couldn't be corrected in that I have never been lured there. :lol:
pueno

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailing wrote:
As I know it, a Bermuda high alone isn't enough to generate winds. In fact, it is a no wind situation for a large portion of the Atlantic coastal region.

If that's the way you know it, Brucie, then it's almost guaranteed to be wrong.

sailing wrote:
Of course I have never claimed that I couldn't be corrected in that I have never been lured there.

Gosh, Brucie, three negatives in a row. Makes about as much sense as you. None.
btbill

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here on the OBX we are in the "sweet spot" for strong summer SW wind generated by the influence of a strong Bermuda High with systems coming from the west. Take a look at any forecast models, or event the IWS forecast and you will see that we are set to be locked into SW for the forseeable future! Finally!!! Very Happy Very Happy

If winds are dead up north, and you are jonesing to sail, come on down to the OBX this weekend/coming week! Be sure to pack the small stuff too!
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at Matt Corey's forecast for Cape Cod this morning and this comment >>Bermuda high digs in to hold strong which is what we have been waiting all summer for. << Let me inform i-windsurf and the readers here that a Bermuda high is not what I have been waiting for on Cape Cod. The winds will be light, weak and probably variable where I sail. In fact, I plan on taking another day off for R & R today as I see nothing in the mix for winds that would require less than a 9.6 for me. Thursday I sailed the gusty NW winds which I described in my last post somewhat. It wasn't the most enjoyable sailing, but it was challenging. Today isn't going to materialize as it was forecast yesterday within all the hype over the Bermuda High. IMHO the OBX isn't a worthy destination for travel, either. Although I hear and read a lot about it, I have not yet gone there. Never have I even been tempted to make the long detour out of Norfolk when travelling to Florida, either. Who wants to prolong the boredom of that drive?
pueno

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailing wrote:
. . . a Bermuda high is not what I have been waiting for on Cape Cod . . . all the hype over the Bermuda High.

Brucie, not quite sure how to break the news to ya, big guy..... but the best stuff doesn't come from Bermuda.

You should probably stick to Thunderbird by the gallon.

sailing wrote:
In fact, I plan on taking another day off for R & R today.....

Haven't you had 60 solid years of R & R, Brucie?
btbill

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great week to be on the OBX! Bermuda High locked in and spooling up strong SW every day! Yesterday, SW upper 20s low 30s..., today upper 20s low 30s, tomorrow, more of the same!! Looks like its set to last though the upcoming weekend! Very Happy Very Happy

If you are here on an OBX summer vacation, and into windsurfing, you are majorly scoring this week, especially if sailing in Rodanthe/Waves area! Very Happy Very Happy

The only thing missing is surf, though perhaps we will get a short period build with the constant SW influence across the region. However, if you are into sound side blasting, every afternoon is firing!
ron.c

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call what you want, but I got a perfect dose of left overs today. What ever you guys and girls didn't use at West Dennis or Kalmus I caught it at Skaket with a 5.0. Fully powered up and old style all the way.

RC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: