myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where do you like to sail?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ferry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:41 am    Post subject: Where do you like to sail? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am new to Hood River. I love it. I am from Sanfran, but anyway's where do you like to sail? I have a Naish 80 liter Wave brand new. Some man said maybe Doug's beach?

Thanks,

Ferry
jesusjones

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tri Cities area is pretty good
windfind

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Gorge sailing places. Reply with quote

You can find brief descriptions of all the major sailing sites by going to any sites wind graph page and clicking on the Local info. link. There is also a map showing the major features. All of this info. is somewhat dated but still useful. See sample below...

Here is my perspective regarding favorite Gorge sites as a former Bay Area sailor and the author of the WindFinder: Bay Area windsurfing guide book.

In the corridor area near Hood River my favorite is the Hatch (Fish Hatchery) on the WA side of the river. Strong wind and steep swell right at the launch almost mid river then Bay Area type chop. Head a bit east for smoother swell and lighter wind. Swell City is basically the same buy you have to pay.

For something somewhat like Bay Area sailing head east of Hood River on 84 to Rowena. It is not my fav since it has chop much like the Bay Area but if you sail towards Dougs or better yet just drive down the WA side and launch at Dougs you will find great sailing. Big swell and starboard ramps mid river. You can take breaks on either side in shallow water.

When it blows out east explore the sites a few miles east of Maryhill on either side of the river. These sites can have winds almost as steady as the Bay Area and huge clean swell from shore to shore. Think about those sites when the forecast is encouraging and the corridor and Hood River are largely cloud covered.

Roosevelt further to the east has a great park and launch site and once you sail through the chop on the WA side you find you find huge swell as you get near Arlington. You can also launch at Arlington for direct access to the big stuff. It is a rugged launch but not as bad as the north tower of the Golden Gate launch.

In general the Gorge winds are much stronger than the Bay Area. The Gorge swell is much larger and cleaner than the bay. And the scenery is far superior. Best of all the people, in general, are much nicer. Although occasionally you see the exceptions here on the forums. Anonymity can be a revelation.

Have fun!

Mike Godsey
mike@iwindsurf.com

swell.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  62.32 KB
 Viewed:  17477 Time(s)

swell.jpg

boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mike.....after reading your negative review of the Bay Area, people not nice, scenerey not as nice, etc etc, its no wonder you are sticking us with terrible forecasts, day after day.I dont know, Tomales scenery is pretty amazing, as is Waddel, and outside the Gate.
Happy North Tower sailor.
windfind

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Bay Area Reply with quote

Hi Boggsman1,

I did not say that people are not nice in the Bay Area. I said the people are much nicer in general in Hood River. Of course the Bay Area has lots of wonderful and nice people, especially the windsurfers. But it is simply a fact that big urban areas have more of the type of people most of us don't enjoy being around. And in recent years the Bay Area traffic congestion and population growth has frayed the niceness factor.

Hood River is a tiny town with a tightly knit community, especially of windsurfers. That fact alone promotes "niceness" since you have to deal with the same people day after day. Like most small town residents people in the Gorge are more relaxed, more recreationally oriented not as career oriented compared to cities. That is what I was referring to by "nicer".

Yes the Bay Area has some incredible scenery. Not only at Waddell, Tomales & the Golden Gate but also Dillon & Tubamancha and all the parks. But the fact that the Gorge was made by a National Scenic Area by that famous tree lover Ronald Regan says something about the beauty here.

It is not that the Bay Area does not have it's beautiful spots ... in is just that the Gorge has even more beauty. You take photos of the 10 most popular Bay Area launch sites and I will do the same and let's compare them.

Incidentally I should have mentioned in welcoming Ferry that he will be missing somethings about the bay. The Bay Area has a much longer windsurfing season with warm temps than the Gorge. Plus the Bay Area wind is FAR more steady and you can sail somewhere in the Bay EVERY day of the summer. Plus you have BIG water to deal with not a narrow river. And add to that you have amazing wave sailing without a long drive. But..... when it comes to scenery and small town "niceness" most people would agree that the Gorge wins.

Mike
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Mike, I just love the coastal aspect of NorCal sailing. It's big, cold, blue, and exciting. I'll be in HR on July 18th, and Im counting down the days , hopefully the people can deal with my agro Cali personality.
andymc4610

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

“You see a lot more meanness in the City
It’s the kind that eats you up inside” – Don Henley

This lyric always comes to mind when I am in any large City.
windfind

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I agree Mike, I just love the coastal aspect of NorCal sailing. It's big, cold, blue, and exciting. I'll be in HR on July 18th, and Im counting down the days , hopefully the people can deal with my agro Cali personality.

Yea, I miss the California coast especially places like Dillon & Tubamancha with endless waves, clear water and mid 20's wind plus the great cocktail mixture of fear and exhilaration knowing the warden is lurking somewhere below.

That agro calif. personality will come in pretty handy on big days in the Gorge. Sometimes the only way I can do a decent jibe in scary wind is imagining I am fighting California traffic.

Give me a call when arrive in the Gorge and I will help you find wind.

Mike Godsey
mike@iwindsurf.com
509-493-4442
jota

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You all kissin and making up already? This was shaping up to be a good catfight! Meeow!
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Godsey loves the Bay Area, Im just giving him some crap. It's fun to blast the weather man, kind of like being mean to a waiter. Fired up to be in Gorge July 18th, we (SF) are having a crapola season.
Boggsman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: