myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Go south young man...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frontal westerlies. Some are very steady, more are gusty as hell. But since the primary difference between a wetsuit and a (neoprene) drysuit is the zipper, the primary difference you'll FEEL is much more warmth; no icy spinal tap. Or do what more and more of my buds are doing: get a Goretex dry suit. They're kicking themselves in the butt for waiting so long to convert. (Tip: today's the last day to order one from REI @ 20% off, a rare deal for the best brand, Kokatat.)

Warm water won't be a problem at the coast. I've had to wear a shorty under a 5mm dry suit, plus thick booties and hood there some summers. The coast water temp is always much colder than the Gorge in summer, sometimes dropping into the 40s even in July.

Mike \m/
andymc4610

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
andymc4610 wrote:
April is the coldest water 38'ish

Mike \m/

typo (FEB) or i don't know the month that comes after Jan.

http://www.cbr.washington.edu/crt/get?Config=river&Segment=Bonneville_Dam&RiverType=tempc&Year=08
johnl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Frontal westerlies. Some are very steady, more are gusty as hell. But since the primary difference between a wetsuit and a (neoprene) drysuit is the zipper, the primary difference you'll FEEL is much more warmth; no icy spinal tap. Or do what more and more of my buds are doing: get a Goretex dry suit. They're kicking themselves in the butt for waiting so long to convert. (Tip: today's the last day to order one from REI @ 20% off, a rare deal for the best brand, Kokatat.)

Mike \m/

Hmm, took a peak at REI, but the suits aren't on sale here. Maybe it's an Oregon/California thing again Smile I used to have a drysuit when I did a lot of SCUBA diving in the area. I notice the Kokatat also has attached "booties". Do you find this a problem with windsurfing? I would almost think one latex seals would be better for windsurfing....
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

REI has 20% off any one item, including special orders, and they carry Kokatats. That's how I got mine, because significant discounts are very seldom available on them.

WSers who wear booties absolutely rave about the suit's optional Goretex booties. I don't wear booties, so I chose the suit w/o booties, then had Kokatat add the relief zipper.

Mike \m/
WMP

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the REI Outlet Store that has the 20% discount... however, they don't offer the Kokatats from the Outlet Store.

I sail all winter here and really do quite fine in a 5/3 wetsuit combined with a vest underneath. You just need to learn when to show up for the real good quality winter winds, that way you're not forced into doing any ddd (dirty ditch dining).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: