myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wind Recession for The Gorge?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CUSalin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Wind Recession for The Gorge? Reply with quote

"Mild to maybe moderate conditions for the extended period
Low pressure to our W out in the Pacific looks to more or less remain stationary for the duration of the extended period. We may see some troughing develop overhead Thurs. This set up is currently suggesting that the winds will remain on the suppressed side for the duration of the extended period."

Geez, other than Memorial Day W.E., it feels alot more like August around here! Can't remember a more windless May / June

andymc4610

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a good outlook, but then you could be coming back from Maui and have gotten skunked for two weeks. I have used my 6.0 and 110Lt board 4 days in May at Swell, when I had no 6.0 days last year. But at least I am getting water time. The swell has been good for 5.5/6.0 the chop has not.
billgfc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real problem is lack of leadership and enthusiasm for being on the water.

I sailed the Gorge alone in 1980 first time here..

That said , it used to be all the staff from Sailboards Hood River, Rushwind/HiPer Tech, Hood River Windsurfing, and Windance all sailed no matter what if conditions were planable, Sometimes even when not. There was serious stoke always, This was an era before freestyle, the first loop landed, and 30 knots had been barely broken on the speed corse in glassy water.

It was about the experience on wind and water from light to high wind.

That was then:

NOW:

6.0? That is a medium s sized sail based on sail sizes from 3.2 to 12 meter. That is a great day. Let s embrace it:)

You can do freestyle, formula and light wind cruising almost every day there is a breeze.

For example the other day wind was light maybe 10 to 15 at most , I was undersized on my 5 yr old Starboard Sonic 100 , a Gsport SR-6b 38 CNC I have had a few yrs, and a new Maui Sails TR-5 XT 7.6.

My top speed was close to 29 knots and I was almost always planing and hooked in. It was fun:) Beats beach sitting.

Bruce Peterson and Dale Cook of Sailworks, all the top Gorge Freestyle sailors go out, and Brian Shurton of Brian s Windsurfing went out doing Freestyle on a long board.

All you need for most guys is roughly 2 sails 6.0 to 7.6 , with good fins (not cheesy freeride fins that come with most boards, the exception is Freestyle). Go Formula or Go Type boards rigging and sail almost daily:)

Board : add a board from around 105 to 130 in most cases. If used, save on lesser coast boards and invest in good fins and a good rig (for those on a budget)

I know carbon is up, but good rigging and fins last many years as do many boards. Windsurfing with a full range quiver is still far less costly than jet skis , sailboats , motorboats, motocross. No gas either, once you are on the water, less carbon emissions.

This sport when practiced this way, is a hell of a lot of fun. Sail when you are free, then when the wind rips you just fly. Any doubts? Just ask Bruce, Dale of the top Freestylers, or sailors you see on the beach sailing while you sit. See the smile on their faces no matter what the wind.

Care to join them? Having fun ?

Jimmy ice small.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.35 KB
 Viewed:  20829 Time(s)

Jimmy ice small.jpg

billgfc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or:

Kiri_PWA carter.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  145.27 KB
 Viewed:  20828 Time(s)

Kiri_PWA carter.jpg

billgfc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or

Star board camp2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  154.24 KB
 Viewed:  20827 Time(s)

Star board camp2.jpg

billgfc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or

Jeff_aug o5.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  9.52 KB
 Viewed:  20813 Time(s)

Jeff_aug o5.jpg

jota

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's kiting too. I got serious grief for starting to snowboard many years ago and I'll get grief here for the kiting suggestion. But hey - it's all good fun, and they all have pros and cons.

I had a great time kiting four days last week when the windsurfing was boring if even possible at all. 6.0? Sorry, rather kite. (Or mountain bike Post Canyon, road ride Rowena Crest, or ski Adams.) Oh, and we'll have a boat full of kids wakeboarding and tubing this afternoon.

Each to his own. Attitude is Everything. I'll be back at the hatch the next 4.2 (or better) day.
CUSalin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... all good if all you have to do is windsurf. I used to be there (5 boards, 10 sails, slept in my van) but no more.

All the power to those who can make thier living windsurfing or are members of "the lucky sperm club" (trustfunders), but for now... I'm pining for The Gorge to start delivering darn it!

Climate change maybe? I dunno. The sure seem to be growing more grapes around here too.

CUSalin'

Mike

johnl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Bill on this. This "all or nothing" attitude is part of the reason of the decrease in windsurfing. We are driving people away (or not attracting new people) by making them think the only way you can have fun windsurfing is with a 5.0 or better wind. You loose a lot of people this way.

Try getting out on your bigger board and smaller sail and play with light wind stuff. It will improve your sailing skills and beats sitting on the beach.

Or get out that 6+ meter sail and go sail in 15mph winds. Funny at the gorge, only the visitors are out having fun on light wind days (and a few select locals). Now I completely understand wanting/needing a rest day from high winds, but complaining that it isn't windy enough to go play in the water is just limiting.

Now if you don't have that equipment or would rather do other things (golf, mountain bike, etc), that's your choice, but the wind is there, you are just limiting yourself with what you do with it....
andymc4610

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree there is a mentality of 4.5 or better, especially in the gorge. when I'm out on a 6.0 I am powered and still jump and have fun but I don't go out in 7.0 or 8.0 conditions does that make me a hippocrate....maybe?

To each his own. If people want to switch to kiting for lite air or whatever more power to them, i just do not need a new summer sport. I Can't do all the ones I like doing now. the last new sport for me was snow boarding 15 years ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: