myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kit for LA/OC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bcboards

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Kit for LA/OC Reply with quote

Hi, moving to the area from ireland in the next couple of weeks, am trying to plan what to bring. Is the area better for wave or slalom, and what is the average wind(sail size) for the summer. How cold is the water?!

Thanks

Barry
jlederer

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top of the morning to ya lad. Ocean sailing in the area. Cabrillo Beach /windiest spot/ freestlye wave board 100 liters/ 5.8 sail /open ocean sailing marginal waves at best. / typical wind day 12-21 average 16 mph. Seal Beach less wind/ better waves more kiters. 3/2 wetsuit in spring/fall / shorty in summer. Lake Isabella 3 hours from the coast. Consitent good wind in spring/early summer/fall. Bring everything.
geohaye

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, jlederer delivered the good advice for sure. And, I found a 6.5 and 125 liter board to be handy to have in the quiver for Cabrillo Beach, and certainly it can help you get more days at Seal Beach, too. Lake Isabella (near Bakersfield) is a fabulous good time if you are into lake sailing and camping (good, windy lake sailing. Bring your 4.5 and 5.0 along with your 5.8 and 6.5.)

Since you're from Ireland, you won't find the water in LA/OC to be cold, but many wear full wetsuits at Cabrillo year-round, though even for the less hardy it can be hard to wear anything but shorts at Lake Isabella starting around July.

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=209&regionProductID=1

See the screen grab below of the iWindsurf map for the LA/OC/Long Beach area. The upper left-hand corner of that little data pop-up is pointing right at Cabrillo Beach (in San Pedro, CA). Seal Beach is just to the southeast of Long Beach. Lake Isabella is way off to the north, near Bakersfield, CA.

Welcome to LA, Barry! When it's not windy, there is TOO much to do. You'll need to follow the Los Angeles Lakers now. And, in baseball, the LA Dodgers and the LA Angels (sometimes you can watch them both play at the same time...like today.)

LA-OC.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  235.07 KB
 Viewed:  11494 Time(s)

LA-OC.png

*Matt*

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The water temperature ranges from 13C in the winter to 21C at the end of the summer. I don't sail in the winter because the wind is too inconsistent to predict. I wear a 4/3 wetsuit in the winter/spring and then a 2/3 from about now on.

Cabrillio gets a consistent thermal sea-breeze once the inland areas start getting hot in the summer. A typical day sees 8.0 in the mid afternoon increasing to 6.5. 5.5 every once in a while. For a board you kind of need a floater because it can get puffy. Probably a 105 or 130 would be a good board if I had to have only 1.

Isabella was amazing getting to 4.5 both days I have been there. The spring requires a 4/3 wetsuit and I believe it is already up to a 2/3. July no wetsuit.
bcboards

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, see you all on the water soon!!
zephr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm from the nw of Ireland myself so here's my take on so-cal :

The water on the nw of Eire because of the gulf stream is often WARMER than here except for the summer months . I have a 4.3 wetsuit and it's fine . Everyone sails different gear dependant on weight etc - I generally sail from a 5.4 down to 4.5 at leo carillo on a small board but I'm sorta light .

Most guys are on 80 ltr- 95ltr boards and 5.4 sails in the summer months at Leo . Cabrillo is also good and probably has more reliable wind than leo as of late . Isabella is great for slalom and bump/jump but lot's of driving envolved .

Overall I would say have another water sport lined up to do when there is no wind . Spring days can be EPIC at county line and at Cstreet ventura
and indeed some summer weeks can be great also . Wind in terms of thermals during the summer usually die off around beginning of oct .

Everything wind wise here depends on "Catalina eddy ". If he comes to town it's all over . Get used to that name .

Overall - it's pretty great here when the wind get's blowing - but the lineup get's crowded compared to the empty sets and long quiet beaches at home . Looking forward to seeing a fellow Irishman out on the waters here .

Best of luck . Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: