myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Southbay Formula Spot
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailwave

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Southbay Formula Spot Reply with quote

Well it is time to get this spot out there in the open. I've been sailing it for too many years alone and it is time to share. It is a Formula paradise... no chop, off shore wind in the channel, beautiful for drag racing and pylon figure 8 racing, access to open bay with as much chop or sailing area as you want.

Redwood City, at the end of Seaport Blvd, upwind parking area. I guess I call it Seaport Blvd.

Nice parking area, huge lawn for rigging, med - high tide only, launch over rocks, sail up wind in narrow feeder channel for about 150 yards ( about 8 tacks) to main RWC channel, access to open bay from there.

I cleaned out the launch area at low tide and removed metal hazards. Launch a few feet upwind of white drainage pipe is best with gradual slope into water. I moved large rocks out the way in that area too.

Typical wind is 5 knots less than 3rd ave. Can be gusty on very hot days and shift. It is really only a longboard with dagger or Formula spot to sail.

Beware - Some dog shit in the lawn. View local topo maps that show an island that pops up at low tide straight outside of main channel at bay entrance, I hit it once and well it was not pretty. Do not set foot on islands as you will get fined, they are somekind of protected natural areas. Recommend a VHF radio or cell phone if your cruising the open bay here, a breakdown sends you into untread downwind areas of the bay and boats won't see you. A signaling mirror or flares is also a good idea.

Last edited by sailwave on Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
windward1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sailwave,

Is that at the end of the PacShores Business Park development?
ccoate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a dream destination all around Wink
sailwave

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is the Pacific Shores Business Park. At the North end of the complex there is a large grass lawn on the channel that kite flyers use and dog enthusiasts play. That is the spot.
windward1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sailwave,

I have watched from your launch spot as dinghys sail out the Redwood City channel and have seen them come to a sudden stop as their centerboards hit bottom, That was at about your 300 yards upwind where the slough ties into the channel.

I was wondering how the ships come in there and two weeks ago I saw a large ship come in from the bay with at least three tugboats on it and it came in and docked at the cement silos. The next day it left. I am guessing she was about 600 feet long and not necessarily fully loaded as there was a lot of red showing below the black. However, it did indicate that there is a sizable channel there and one must just heed the buoys.
sailwave

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any tide above 4 feet is basically clear sailing in the main channel even with a formula fin. Even if you do hit bottom it is soft mud with a gradual slowing effect. The exception is the island straight outside from the main channel where it dumps into the bay.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RWC launch is perfect for days when the fog sits on Coyote and the tide is high enough to get to the main channel. I've launched there a number of times on formula gear. I've talked to people who have launched slalom gear directly into the main channel from the bulk shipping port without issue. Yes, I had my learning experience with the island. Every time sailing there has been a great session but totally solo. The flat, really flat, water channel is a real treat to sail.
sailwave

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went out here yesterday and had a blast. Dropped into a large motor boat wake and rode the swell for a 1/4 mile or more. A bit gusty yesterday, likely due to a bit more northwest in the wind. West-NW seems to be best here.
Jrobb

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailed there today, what fun. I think I nailed two of my best jibes screaming in nex to the marsh ( North side) and jibing around the first red channel marker just past the power lines...perfect flat water and a gust at the end to leave planing. I had to walk upwind along the East side of the feeder channel to get to where I could head upwind.

6.6 and 110l slalom board. Tide was up but not all the way, never hit anything.

Thanks for the heads up.

J
sailwave

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed here yesterday, 6.8 + formula board. Launched during incoming tide and sailed upwind to San Mateo bridge. Pondered shooting the bridge, but it was getting late and could hear the wife calling. Awesome downwind run. The incoming tide kills all chop in the main channel for zen speed sailing, especially upwind of the red channel markers. I should get a GPS.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: