myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Freestyle VS Allrounder/FSW ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Freestyle VS Allrounder/FSW ? Reply with quote

Given the same volume , 100L + or - a little, and price being equal, sail carrying capacity equal, and both start with the letter T

Which board would handle Rio Vista/ Gorge better ?

A dedicated Freestyle or FSW

Regards bottom shape, early planing, jibes , ease of use when wound up or slogging .

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're on a 100L board in the Gorge in the summer, I suspect a freestyle board may be the better bet, because there usually won't be enough wave action to warrant a wavy board or a wavy sailing style. On your routine windy day, say 4.x sails, 70-80 liters is more the norm for ordinary sized guys, with many boards below that. On a 4.x day, 100L feels like a concrete picnic table on square wheels in the heart of the Gorge; 65 L can be rough as a cob on a crowded, choppy day. And I don't recall the Delta being a particularly good water skiing spot on a windy day, either. The only time my 95L boards come out to play is when the wind line is hundreds of yards offshore and a 5.x is powered only in the gusts.

Mike \m/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx Mike

I think you answered the question in part, I do refer to 100L wind, not winds that dictate 70L and 3.7m.

So the question is not which size board, but which board would suit better, freestyle or FSW, and yes if it was a nukeing then wave.

So in this case" maybe "the Gorge is not a good comparison for a 100L board.

Perhaps I should have used Berzerkley instead.......

isobars

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're diverging rather than converging in our understanding, maybe because so many people think the Gorge blows hard all the time and "nukes" quite often. Let me try again.

On days when a 100L board is necessary for guys under 250 pounds, there's almost no one on the water because there's no swell. And with no swell, the primary WSing activities are race or freestyle ... thus my freestyle vote for your question.

If there's enough wind to consistently power a 5.2, there is swell, so out come the 70-80 liter wave and/or B&J boards. Bigger and/or flatter boards are unnecessarily harsh in central Gorge chop. 90 liters is doable, but ... why? This place ain't smooth water punctuated by smooth swells like a good sideshore ocean spot; it's chop on swells if we're lucky, chop on chop if not. "Chopswell" pretty much covers the terrain most occasional visitors encounter, and even that is bone-jarring at many spots on many days. Even the silkiest board shape is silkier yet in its smaller sizes.

Thus "100 liter wind" in the summer is holey 15-18 mph breezes and flat water, when you will have the entire Columbia to yourself and a few hundred kites unless you go golfing with your WSing buddies. The primary conditions for boards that big occur with spring and fall fronts, which tend to produce comparatively poor-quality winds that can quit at any time, in which case a big, floaty board will get you home and through huge holes more easily. But since even those winds can produce big chopswell, even my buds' 95 and 115 liter boards are wave boards.

And i haven't even delved into 4.5 breezes (upper 20s kts?)) yet, let alone 3.5 (30+). Here I think "nuke" arguably means wind averages over maybe 35 kts, when good-sized guys are getting hammered on 3.2s.

I think you're beginning to see that the venue matters as much as the wind range. Some spots here are smooth in any decent wind, others are a dentist's next yacht payment in even the steadiest wind.

And, of course, a lot depends on what kind of sailing you want to do. You'll see everything from full race to full wave boards having fun side by side.

Mike \m/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the first 7 words Mike you could have stopped instead of 7 paragraphs

kraeva

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your questions more specifically: Both boards will do you great. Plenty of guys are out there on freestyle boards. And plenty are on the FSW. For those of us who can not afford the wave board for the nuking days, the FSW board for 5.7 days, and freeride boards for slow days, do fine on one board. Having that said, most have a freestyle board. The JP Freestyle and Fanatic Skate do really well as a freeride board, as well as wave, as well as gusty Gorge. Other more pure freestyle brands strugle more. The JP Freestyle Wave, Fanatic Freewave and Hawk, RRD FSW are not that much different, and plenty of people that's the only board they have. As long as its quick to plane, stays on plane and easy to turn it will do well.

I am 180lbs, and I like being overpowered. I sail mostly a 5.7 in the gorge, and the lowest a 4.0 on the 35knots days. So 75%of the time the 105L RRD FSW board I will do me really well. And in the past the Skate 99 did. The other 25% I am shloging, or diging out my 80L wave board. So if you are looking to make the most of your days, either freestyle or FSW will do pretty much equally (depending on the which one specifically of course).
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks

looking for any major difference in ride, handling chop, and jibes ?

the Skate seems a real crossover to freeride. While the RRD very easy & suits most .

johnl

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried a freestyle board? I've demo'd the JP Freestyle while on vacation and hated it (but I am not a freestyle sailor). But I like the JP and Fanatic Freestyle wave boards. It depends on if you are or plan on doing freestyle moves. If so, I think you will be happier on a pure freestyle board. But if you are just planing on B&J style sailing, then a freewave style board is a blast.

As to Sherman, I sail a 95l Fanatic Freestyle board as my primary board (for me that 's 5.7 or maybe holey 5.2 sailing) in the bay area. If Sherman is light I'll take out the 95l board at Sherman and it's a lot of fun. Not as quick as the slalom/freeride style boards, but a good compromise of speed and handling. Now if Sherman is blowing (like this weekend) then the 95 will be too much for most of us.....

The Fanatic slogs well (good balanced board), handles being OP pretty well, and jibes nicely. Also can be fun in the swell/chop. PERSONALLY I found the Fanatic seems to be a bit more buoyant (for it's size) than the JP, but that's my personal call.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnl wrote:
Have you tried a freestyle board? .

NO, I have been told, that the Freestyle may be a little wider, per same size, probably have a fairly flat bottom, VS
something like double concave & V
be really fun to ride, plane sooner, maybe get bouncy sooner, top speed not important to me.
95--100L seems a good size for me at Sherman, looking at something that will be still fun in MARGINAL planing conditions, say with a 6.0.

isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tabou~R2 wrote:
in the first 7 words Mike you could have stopped instead of 7 paragraphs

I apologize for taking my time to try to be helpful. I won't trouble you with substance next time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: