myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The Gorge - Memorial Day Weekend
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jota

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there's definitely more and more space - both parking and swell riding - although I was surprised how many kiters came up to the Hatch/Swell City last summer on 3.2 days even. And there will only be more of that. At least they aren't parking and launching there.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andymc4610 wrote:
Oh and Iso Even the PDX TV satiations, newspaper and Temeria said it would be windy this last weekend... Shocked

As did NOAA, but their "15-30" was pretty generic, and an AM forecast for dawn patrol is sorta moot, as dawn is at 4:45 and I gotta leave home at 2:30 to catch it. I've gotten skunked too many times doing that to get too excited about it any more, and we can't tell swell from chop from 145 miles away. Not that I'm complaining, as we've been sailing under clear blue skies for close to two months out here.

Mike \m/
andymc4610

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawn patrol for me is hitting Swell at 7am, usually first one on the water in spring. I was on saturday, still a little cold early. But sailors were out early monday cause it was good and going to die off later.
jesusjones

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Sweet spot Reply with quote

Nice swell here............

wallsized.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  208.56 KB
 Viewed:  12560 Time(s)

wallsized.jpg

fearnobeer

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never sailed there, when you ride a swell like that are you going down wind or up wind?
andymc4610

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fearnobeer wrote:
I have never sailed there, when you ride a swell like that are you going down wind or up wind?

Downwind....up River, LOL
jota

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downwind, the wind is at your back. I gotta say, from that photo it looks like it's not very windy at all. You want to see the wind blowing off the tops of the waves, making ripples and liquid smoke. if I didn't know better that looks like 5.0 to me.
jota

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downwind, the wind is at your back. I gotta say, from that photo it looks like it's not very windy at all. You want to see the wind blowing off the tops of the waves, making ripples and liquid smoke. if I didn't know better that looks like 5.0 to me.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andymc4610 wrote:
Dawn patrol for me is hitting Swell at 7am

I've been on the water for two hours by then if the wind cooperates ... but that's not the challenge. The challenge is dragging one's raggedy ass out of bed that early after sailing 'til after 9 the evening before several days in a row. It was doable a decade ago when I was a young man of 55 ... not sure I'd have much luck trying that now more than a couple of days in row, unless, of course, the wind was expected to die that day for a while.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: