myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Charlston SC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
89Spring

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Charlston SC Reply with quote

We are thinking about a move from San Francisco to Charlston. Whats the scoop? Hatteras is still pretty far I beleive. Anything down by the Folly Beach area? What is the winter time sailing like there and water temp?

Andy
geohaye

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charleston wind is consistent, though generally lighter. An adjustment if you are used to SF, and Charleston is unlikely to have a huge windsurfing scene these days, but there much worse places you could move to.....Wink

Today is starting out well. Folly Island sensor:
http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=1696&location_id=1034

Last 7 days show a couple great days:
http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=1696&location_id=1034&ISection=Last+7+Days

iWindsurf Archives for July 2008 show several good days, too:
http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?location_id=1034&archiveMonth=7&archiveYear=2008&archiveSearch=Go&Isection=Wind+Archive&regionID=1696

Picture 1.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  259.96 KB
 Viewed:  7824 Time(s)

Picture 1.png

d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've windsurfed a lot in Edisto Beach, near Charleston. The area gets everything from nice 10-20 knot seabreezes from the S or SW, to wavy NE blows, to nuking W/NW frontal winds. Similar wind pattern to Hatteras, just not as strong, and with more "off" days. In Charleston, people sail in the harbor as well as the ocean. Folly beach is the most exposed to wind and waves. Lots of surfers and kiters in that scene.

You need some neoprene from October to May. Water gets down to about 50, and winter daytime highs avg around 60. Some winter days you definitely need hood, gloves, and booties, others you're ok with bare feet and hands.

-James
89Spring

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were at Folly beach in early November a couple years ago, I had my kit and my 3mm suit. It was not ripping and toooo cold for me to rig up with my 3mm. So maybe if this happens I will need I warmer suit. I hate booties and gloves. Thanks for the replies

Andy
d0uglass

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In SC you can count on June - September being HOT, humid weather where you can't wait to get in the water, and you definitely don't need a wetsuit.

May & October are a transition from swim trunks to light wetsuits.

Nov & April are variable, so you need a mix of light and heavy wetsuits but usually no hood or gloves.

Dec - March you'll definitely want 5/4+, often with hood and gloves. A lot of times I'll start out with gloves and hood, but then peel them off and leave them on the beach once I warm up.

Even though the warm season is long, wind for "sinker" boards usually happens when it's colder, so a winter wetsuit is important.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: