myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Need recommendation on equipment/rental shop near Avon, NC
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ttreat

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Need recommendation on equipment/rental shop near Avon, NC Reply with quote

Hi all,
I will be vacationing in Avon from 5/18-5/24 and I'm looking to do some windsurfing. It has been a few years since I last sailed so I am looking for a recommendation on good equipment to ask for at a local rental shop. I have been windsurfing for about 17 years but I don't get out very frenquently, even less frequent in the last few years. I used a GO board the last time I rented equipment from a shop in Hatteras and I liked it a lot. I can jibe, tack, waterstart, etc but my technique is far from refined. I do have a '98 Seatrend that is about 120 liters but I don't want to haul my older equipment with me.

I also would like some recommendations on the best rental shops near Avon as I have forgotten which one I used last. I don't really care if they have a launch as I probably will be sailing out of Canadian Hole anyway.

Thanks in advance for the recommendations.
mewindsurf

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ocean Air has a huge rental fleet. Just tell them what your level is and they'll hook you up with some brand new 2009 rental gear that will work good for you. They have every board in the store for demo, so I'm sure you'll get get exactly what you need. They're located in the north Avon.

Here's their website:

www.oceanairsports.com

Happy sailing,

Mike Burns
dsz

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea ask for Mark Skelton at Ocean Air, good guy. Any of the Realtors, Midgett, Hatteras, Sound Realtys etc. can hook you up for some great digs.
morwind4me

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've both rented and bought equipment from Andy at Sailworld and been very happy. I'm sure he'll chime in here sometime soon, but that's my suggestion.

Charlie at Ride Hatteras is a good guy, too, but I'm hunching that Andy will probably be a little easier to work with.

Never had great luck with Ocean Air, but could just be me.
dsz

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There all good.
padams

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend Ride Hatteras over Ocean Air.

He's very helpful.
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chime Smile

All of the shops mentioned have lots of toys for you to rent, and Fox in Buxton might be renting some stuff this year, too. Check 'em all out. There are very few shops left in the country, so take advantage of the ability to see, feel, smell, and taste all of the latest and greatest windsurfing stuff! Sailworld, the shop I work at, has the latest Starboard GOs available for demo, as well as Tabou, RRD, Bic, Naish, and HiFly. Just a few options...

If you get here and the wind is light, you've GOTTA try the Starboard Serenity... Or if you bring a friend, jump on the Gemini tandem for an afternoon... Guaranteed fun!!

Fox and Sailworld are the closest shops to the Canadian Hole, with about a 5 minute drive to either (not that the other shops are that much further away Laughing )

And I can always give you a lesson, too, to help get you dialed back in! Feel free to PM for more info!
ttreat

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Sailworld just south of OceanAir? Last time I was there (2002), I rented from a shop just south of what I think was OceanAir. It was a much smaller shop but seemed less commercial and the people were great.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hodad, glad you guys brought in a Gemini. That board is brilliant. Great for groups to get out and rollick around. Eddy P. was telling me he used an old F2 tandem to teach kids on. That way the kid could watch, first hand what the instructors wanted them to do. Not many words necessary that way.

Are you teaching on it? Wish more schools would.
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttreat- Sailworld used to be the shop near the DQ in Avon, but we moved a few years ago. Now, we've teamed up with Hatteras Island Boardsports, and we share a building with Village Video right in the center of Avon, across the street from the Pier. If you rented a GO last time, it was most likely from us Smile

jing- I agree- the Gemini is an incredible board to teach on! I don't do many beginner lessons on it, but I could see it working really well. I've found it incredible for harness and basic stance lessons. My friend Drew learned perfect form getting in and out of the harness lines in about 45 seconds due to the Gemini! He said he felt like there was a voice in the back of his head giving him instant feedback Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: