myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Add centerboard to Starboard Go?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 2002 Go 140 liter version which was the third year that the Go series was produced. I have found this board to work exceptionally well with the side fins. Both my daughters learned to windsurf on this board along with several other of their friends. The only limitation is that at 140 liters it would be too small for heavyweights but for my sub 120 pound daughters and their friends is has been ideal. One advantage to the side fins over the dagger board is that they don't have to worry what position the centerboard is in and there is no knob sticking up through the deck to fall on.

At first I was a bit skeptical about the side fins being held by the screws in the rail but we take a bit of care by not running the board up on the beach and there have been no problems after 6 years. My one daughter ever learned to use a harness on it and could plane with a 4.5 sail. Starboard cautions that the side fins are not to be used in high winds and I would never think of sailing it myself with the side fins and a large sail. However it works fine with for a 110 pounder with a 4.5 sail at Sherman Island where we primarily sail. I have started others out with even a smaller kids rig and the board is still very responsive

As I said previously I don't know if all of the Go boards sail the same but it may that your set up and fin size is the main problem. Before I would abandon the board I would at least experiment with the mast position and rear fin size.

The stock 50 or 54 cm rear fin is way too large for beginners sailing with a small sail and may be causing part of the balance problem. On mine I have an older lower aspect Curtis race fin that is about 32cm deep. The mast track is also set at the front of the box. The board is perfectly balanced in this configuration and is very easy for lightweight beginners to sail. The mast forward position also allows a more comfortable use of the most forward strap position which is quite close to the mast track

Basically if your daughter finds that the board is rounding up into the wind then move the mast track forward. If it falling away from the wind then move it back.

I can't imagine that replacing the side fins with a center fin would help the board go up wind any better unless the version you have is so unbalanced that the set up that I have recommended does not work. Replacing the side fins with a single US box would allow you to repositon the fin either further aft or forward depending on the board's balance point. If you find that the board still rounds up into the wind with the side fins even with a smaller rear fin and the mast track all of the way forward, mounting a US box a few inches further aft of the side fin location would help. You then could further tune the balance by moving the fin forward or back in the US box or changing the fin size and/or rake.
billgfc

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeff,

Why add all the weight of daggerboards, which make the board cumbersome and heavy, besides cluttering the deck?

There are single fin solutions to your dilemma. We developed the first shallow water and learning fins for wide boards while becoming the North American distributor for Starboard when they were a tiny unknown.

We also developed same in big weed fins in three rake angles as well as the first production deep fins.

I learned more while developing presentation for the fins for the Olympic Board that was used in the Beijing Olympics. I presented at the conference at Lake Garda in 2003 and at the ISAF Conference in Copenhagen where the board was selected.

In summary, for you. I can help you select a single fin for this board that will keep the board upwind while learning in selected water depth. The solution has been tested with kids and adults and will provide the desired result.

You will end up with problem solved at low cost while not adding weight , bulk and clutter

You can email me at bill@gsport.com and I will provide cell so we can talk. I still have your email, but my laptop hard disk failed and it will be a week or so until up again

Bill Kline
www.gsport.com
jfeehan

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again for the replys.

bill - hi, i think i have one of those fins..., i can't say for sure that we gave it a good trial, it was years ago. but one issue may be that the board speeds are generally quite low - she is sailing w a 4.0, in about 5kts of breeze, and it just seems that a centerboard works in this environment.

certainly the JP Funster worked extremely well for her. she stayed upwind even at very low board speeds.

the fin i have is a sort of "hatchet" fin..., it's pretty big, but short.

i agree w the point about the US box being easier to install - than a tuttle or power box, and i guess that's what i should try first.

as far as the side fins go, i can only say that they were a real PITA, and didn't work for us.

i live in connecticut - if there is a Rio for sale near by- preferably not one of the really big ones, i'm interested.
billgfc

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Jeff,

I would check if it is the DC 33 or the DC 42, I suspect the 42 would work , the 33 being short.

It would have been ideal if we had purchased a board company after all that research. One thing I learned at Lake Garda and before is that daggarboards add weight and clutter while adding a couple knots at least to planing. the fin is 1/3 of the board rig and fin system, as Jim Drake mentioned as I headed inside for my Olympic fin presentation at Lake Garda.

that said, if one is in an area where winds are almost always under 6 knots then daggars can make for some fun racing.

For your daughter, I would see if you have the 42 and try.

Next: if you were taking the kids sailing or on a motorboat at the beach. you all would walk out in knee to waist deep water to go... a longer fin will help,, keep increasing depth until the board stays upwind.

If depth is an issue, then I have some great closeout Sortaweed fin which is our most upright. The rake is more forgiving in shallows. There is a very long base width that goes well in front of the box.

You can cut the fin from longer as short as you wish and still stay upwind.
You save hundred$ by not buying a board and end up with no clutter, less weight and she stays upwind and has fun

Best wishes and nice to hear from you!

bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: