myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Help With Mobile Computer Data Services in the Gorge
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pablomerc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wsmike wrote:
I dropped Verizon about a year ago for Sprint and never have looked back. I have coverage at the Wall but you have to hold your mouth right sometimes, Roosevelt/Arlington is fine though.

Sounds A-OK Mike! I take that to mean their service is generally reliable and the speed is satisfactory. Question: do you get a 3G (EVDO Rev A) connection anywhere in the Gorge? If so, where? Thx, Rob
wsmike

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,
Yeah speeds are pretty good, I'm not streaming YouTube or anything, just checking wind on iwindsurf so don't need much for that. I get a good digital signal all along the corridor from Portland to Arlington which is the 3G speed (4G is supposedly on its way but may be a year or more till it makes it out here). I don't get good coverage once I stray away from I-84 towards Mt Hood, or out towards Trout Lake but I can usually still make calls unless I'm out in bunga bunga land.

Good luck, are you moving in from out of the area or just changing service?
pablomerc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Mike!

I'm gonna try the Boost Mobile (Sprint pre-paid) 'Pay-As-You-Go' plan. Believe it or not, I'm supposed to get unlimited data service for 35 cents a day! Voice calls are a flat 10CPM anytime. I've just now purchased a used HTC Mogul smartphone (which has 3G capability) on eBay. If you're curious, there's plenty to read over on the HoFo site.

No, I'm not moving - I just spend 4-5 months in the Gorge during the "high-season". Always start out at Roosevelt in May - hence my concern about Sprint service out there. I'll probably see you there sometime!

Later, Rob
rdies

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: tmobile Reply with quote

Anyone have comments re Tmobile reception through the Gorge (voice & data)?
bjamin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One major thing that has changed since last season is Verizon now has native 3G coverage at most gorge sailing sites (The Wall being the exception). I'm basing this on their coverage maps, not from any actual use. Look at their maps and select broadband to see 3G.
yeeeeha

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AT&T has up graded the gorge, central and I think eastern Oregon to the 3G network. When I spoke with a technician here at the local at&t store a while back, he was telling me that they are in the testing phase now and the system should be up and going in April. He also said that since there will so few using the system out here in this sparsely populated area, that the down load speeds will be at least a meg and a half for download speeds.

I've never had any problems with reception at any of the sailing sites from Rooster out past Roosevelt.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I want wx maps at Roosevelt, I click on "Do It" ... then prepare a meal or rake the lawn while it loads on AT&T's 3G Air Card in my laptop. If I don't rush the 7-course meal or if the lawn is knee-deep, the maps might be ready before I finish. It's much quicker to phone my wife, ask her to go downstairs and fire up my desktop, download the maps, and discuss her findings. I ain't impressed. If I can't reach her, either I punch up NOAA's forecasts in two seconds on my cell phone or the lawn gets raked.

I don't do 7-course meals.

Mike m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: