myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Help With Mobile Computer Data Services in the Gorge
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
columbia

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Help With Mobile Computer Data Services in the Gorge Reply with quote

Looking for a reliable/affordable mobile internet service that will provide coverage at the main Gorge sailing sites - from the Oregon coast to Roosevelt. Also, coverage in and around Maupin would be handy. I've talked to Verizon and ATT but not sure which provides the best coverage for our main sailing sites. (Verizon is off network - so speed is limited.) My understanding is that the computer data card is about $59 and there's a monthly fee also.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with any of the mobile data services? Thanks in advance.
johnl

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I can't answer your question directly, I can address Verizon. I changed from a regular cell phone to a Omnia so that I could access IWindsurf in the Gorge. Verizon lacks a "primary network" in the area, so you have to use other networks. The regular phones with Verizon won't access the web in the Gorge, you have to change to a data type phone which then will access the network.

So I imagine this will be similar for a computer network card.

But there are a TON of Wi-Fi locations in the Gorge. So unless you really need a connection all the time to your computer, you could easily access them....
columbia

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Yes - I need constant connection not WiFi Reply with quote

I need a constant internet connection and although there's lots of wifi around - none at the Hatch, Doug's, Roweenie or the Wall (to name but a few). My objective is to get some work done if the wind dies or hasn't arrived yet or perhaps in between sessions. A card that slides into my computer would do the trick - it's just deciding which service is the best.

BTW - You are correct about Verizon and it's data coverage - it is limited in the Gorge.
Gorgekiteboy

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Internet connection Reply with quote

I'd suggest ATT. Not sure about their coverage in Maupin though.
Their service is EDGE throughout the Gorge. Rufus and the Wall were iffy the last I remember, but Roosevelt and Arlington work great.

Kent
wsmike

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this as one of my top criteria when I recently switched cell phone carriers. I was on Verizon which was useless for anything but voice. Now I'm with Sprint (on a SERO plan) and have tethered my RANT cellphone for an anywhere connection.

I thought it would be really usefull to have but I find that most of the time I only need to check email and wind which I can do from my phone easier than lugging my laptop around. That said, its really nice to have the tethered connection when I want it.

I pay $59/mo. for 500min. + unlimited text/data. This didn't include the Phone as Modem plan, had to hack the phone to enable it so don't tell anyone. I've gotten good data coverage everywhere I've been sailing from the Hatch to Doug's to Roosevelt. There's a dead spot between HR and Stevenson, not sure if Home Valley is accessible, and not sure about Maupin.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check iW's website. It rates AT&T best in the Gorge, and threads here concur. I'm typing this from Roosevelt on my Aircard, but tethered cellphones also work. Of course, iW, NOAA, etc. are instantly available on IWAP anywhere you have cell coverage.

Mike \m/
WMP

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be really careful with AT&T, the big boys are well known for throwing in a two year contract and additional charges without telling you. Just read the fine print before you sign ANY agreement with AT&T. And yes, there is a patchy signal around Rufus - The Wall with AT&T, but you learn where to park to find the good signal.
wsmike

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to chime in here for Sprint, their digital coverage at the Wall was ok as long as I was standing outside of my car. Doug's has been the same way. Both spots I've never not been able to get online, but it was pretty slow as the connection was only 1-3 bars.
bjamin

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sprint seems to have recently upgraded their network through the gorge to 3G/broadband speeds. Check their coverage map. I'm also on sprint with an older sero plan but I don't have a broadband card nor tethering so not sure how the new 3G actually performs. For voice and other data (iWindsurf) no serious problems with sprint at any gorge sites (with a sanyo phone). Yes the wall was a bit spotty at times but that was before their upgrade. wsmike - have you checked sprints coverage lately (as in this spring). Would love to be able to tether from the wall or roosevelt if possible.

At the moment Verizon has no native coverage in the gorge but they are actively expanding their network in eastern oregon/washington so that's probably going to change "soon" and it will probably be 3G when it comes and it will probably perform great (but pricey).

ATT has only their older edge network here and does not seem to be upgrading anything around here. I suspect they will keep their edge network here as is as long as possible. Once they were the best bet in the gorge - more then five years ago.
wsmike

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just signed up with Sprint starting April 10th, and I get the 3G network at about 1Mb/sec via tethered connection which is fast enough to stream YouTube video without stuttering/buffering, and fast enough for pretty much anything I need to do. The upstream speed is not great, its about 100Kb/sec but I usually only FTP text files upstream so its not been a problem.

At some points I get asked if I want to do Data Roaming, I always choose no from fear of being bent over the proverbial barrel with per minute charges. I guess the ATT network is available is what I'm saying, not sure of speed or cost through Sprint though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: