myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Seat vs. Waist Harness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're talking about it- 29 year old Ross Williams just won the Austria PWA Slalom event. What is the world coming to when some punk kid can beat the old guard heroes of our sport around the race course... using a WAIST HARNESS, nonetheless?!?! Evil or Very Mad

Rolling Eyes Laughing
dsz

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a waist harness and it hurt my back when I windsurf so I have always worn a seat Dakine XTC type. When I started kiting I naturaly used a seat then a couple years later tried a waist and have never looked back. But when I sail, I still use a seat though. The pull must be different between the two sports.
Barnett

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that when I had back problems, the worst thing I could do is drive. That was before I discovered empirically the use of my waist harness when driving (without the hook of course!). Wearing it cinched tight in the car would allow me to drive from Northampton to W Dennis and jump straight on the water after 3 hrs on the road without flinching....plus saves a minute of rigging time, during which (given where we live) the wind could die!
isobars

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barnett wrote:
I found that when I had back problems, the worst thing I could do is drive.

That's yet another indication of the wide disparity in backs, rendering much harness advice moot. When my back went "out" (i.e., into spasms lasting days) and I couldn't walk upright (confirming the suspicions of many here) due to excruciating pain, nothing switched the pain off instantly and totally like getting into a driver's seat. I can only guess that that was (I say "was" because my back's cured now) because seats were designed for exactly my height. Whether the drive was from Hood River to the Hatchery or 1,000 miles, my back was in heaven in that position.

Whether it's harnesses, back problems, board selection, fins, sails, girls, or pizza, there's nothing like experimentation.

Mike \m/
force5

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seat
tom9167

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about the newest Dakine Sonic - combination waist and hi back seat harness w/o leg straps.

Anyone try these?
jp5

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the way a seat harness with leg straps makes me feel down there...kinda like climbing the rope in gym class.
michelesmarty45

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I also prefer a seat harness. My back is often sore after windsurfing but the thing that has given me the most relief is an inversion table. One to two minutes upside down decompresses the vertebrae and takes me from walking like Groucho Marks to upright and comfortable. I use a Teeter EP-550.

Is it true that inversion table helps in pain relief?
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

only if you stay inverted long enough to die.
dwr888

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

about 5 years ago I bought a pair of Kiteboarding Shorts w/ the harness built into them.

Although it seems that they would perform the same as a seat harness .. i have found it TOTALLY different. Massive control difference and big improvement on a harness. A good number that I have given the opportunity to or have suggested this seem to agree .. even my wife!

Might be worth honorable mention.

D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: