myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Arroyo Laguna
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jp5

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Arroyo Laguna Reply with quote

I visited there over the weekend and took this photo. Those brown things in the foreground that look like driftwood are elephant seals. My concern would be if they are on the beach, then ol'whitie must be out there swiming around waiting for them to get back into the water. That didn't seem to bother these kite surfers much.

P1010012.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  41.04 KB
 Viewed:  22247 Time(s)

P1010012.JPG

kevinkan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my buddy spent all last week at AL, lit on 4.0... he's still alive. Laughing

sounds like an awesome place... definitely on my "to do" list.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately, Whitety likes them much better than us. Also, they like the situation closer to the Pietro Blancas Lighthouse, because there are a number of rock pullouts where the seals haul out and enter the water from deeper scenarios than off the beach.
higgybaby

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been kicked out by both Whitey and an elephant seal bull while surfing (not at Arroyo). Whitey just checked us out and we vacated on our own accord while the bull followed and harassed one of us all the way from the lineup onto the beach... literally kicked out. Those things are absolutely huge (head about the size of a person in the fetal position) and the way it zeroed in on one guy was pretty freaky. I think I fear both about the same.
plattik

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget this (potential) problem! Wink

Ole!_2.JPG
 Description:
Ole!
 Filesize:  127.53 KB
 Viewed:  22107 Time(s)

Ole!_2.JPG

D-wo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there last Tuesday and Wednesday. Tuesday was too windy to sail (no one was out, I should've stayed in Cayucos). Wednesday I was powered up on a 4.2 ( I weigh 230). Plenty of Elephant Seals but no bulls this year. A couple of years ago I saw a guy with a red kite get chased by one of those bad boys. Hysterical to say the least (the bull gave up after a short spurt).

I also went to Jalama on Thursday. Classic conditions and I was the only windsurfer out - solid 25 knot winds, smaller surf but still some head high back side rides. Only a few kiters showed up and they went down wind to Tarantulas. Would have been nice to have a sailing buddy. Who still sails there? I definitely want to go back this spring.
dabull1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Sailing security services now offered!!!! Reply with quote

Hey platik, didn't you know that's the "locals only attack dabull," Arroyo Laguna style! Just one of my Central Coast operators... Da"Secos"Bull
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Sailing security services now offered!!!! Reply with quote

dabull1 wrote:
Hey platik, didn't you know that's the "locals only attack dabull," Arroyo Laguna style! Just one of my Central Coast operators... Da"Secos"Bull

Thank god for Da Bull. Seems to only go after kiters. Why don't we move your cousin to Leo?

Arroyo can be an amazing sailing experience with a south swell.
cucuface22

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arroyo is a blast! there are places north where the seals congregate, and i just assume the sharks are up there...about 1mile out there are some kelp beds that freak me out a bit, but i just stay away from them...amazing surf and wind, especially in spring time...4.0 from 1-6

if the weather sensor

http://www.weather.com/weather/local/USCA1013?lswe=san%20simeon,%20CA&from=searchbox_localwx
shows 15+, its gonna be windy up there...18+ means 4.0 LITTTTT by 3
Epenrose

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice the aggressive dangler in the picture has his helmet on and no doubt boardshorts over wetsuit.

The bull obviously just wanted to put him out of his misery and stop him wondering around other humans looking like a total tool, or was deeply offended by a human being wondering around his field looking like a cross between a star trek character and Folsom street fair patron.

Classic spot with a great local crowd. Some great surf and sailing days here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: