myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2 THOUGHTS ON VERY EARLY SEASON

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beallmd

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: 2 THOUGHTS ON VERY EARLY SEASON Reply with quote

For those of us who don't or can't sail all winter (Reno=frozen), Have you noticed that the first few times out you loose all the subtleties of sailing? For example; you think oh, I need to get my weight forward now and then you stomp of the front of the board and think, well Not like that! You mentally know what you need to do but you exagerate it...

Also have you noticed the first time or two out when you get dunked, especially your head and neck, that there is a panting reflex (shallow rapid respirations ) that is not helpful or healthy? Have you thought this would be a real bad time to lose your rig and have to swim for it? It seems like an asthma inhaler can help prevent it but better is to splash your head and neck and face while getting in and get it overwith. This is actually a reaction to sudden cold water immersion, it is not the diving reflex associated with seals that slows your breathing and heartbeat. Humans do show a minor seal diving reflex. I find it goes away after the first 2 or 3 times out.
koogzah

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very deep.

picture-17.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  526.94 KB
 Viewed:  12444 Time(s)

picture-17.png

swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me that the water must still be on the very cool side, at least around your local haunts. I remember the days back in the early 60s where a wetsuit was simply a short john without sleeves. While you had some buffer during the winter surfing season, the water in the very low 50s could offer quite a shock and adjustment. Boy, I'm much much happier with the quality of today's wetsuits.

Still though, if you're more seasonally oriented in the sport, there's always some adjustment curve. However, I think most days are often very different, as least on the coast, so there always seems to be this period needed to get settled and in the groove.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consider my first few spring sessions as throwaways. Despite my grueling, focused winter workout program designed around windsurfing strength and endurance and targeted all winter for early April, I feel clumsy, inept, and highly overworked those first few spring days. I drive myself like a draft horse all winter with my mouth closed, but am huffing and puffing in no time when chasing gear in the cold spring water. Muscles that simulated WSing all winter feel out of place on the water -- no surprise because training effects are extremely specific -- and the gym doesn't elicit the excitement of those first few spring blasts.

And, I forgot ... the tops of my feet will itch violently 24/7 for the next 3-4 days after my first spring session. It keeps me awake, and I've found no cure yet. Poison oak is a picnic by comparison.

Mike \m/
crashman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too always start my season at Washoe and have a rough couple of sessions. First off I always make the drive from Truckee on really windy days so it's pretty much a guaranteed 4.0 day with huge holes between the gusts. I always do 2 wierd things the first couple of times I go out: 1 I end up choking up on the booms too much. 2 When I jump my back foot always comes flying out of the footstrap on port tack. Then I do get that cold water shock thing going. Oh and I always forget to pay (or even stop sometimes) . The friendly ranger knows I always do this and never hassles me when asking me to pay up. I feel like a knucklehead for sure the first few days of the season... Most of the season...
sergem

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beallmd - I have the above symptoms every time I go out Smile

For severe case, I even have an illustration: http://videojibe.com/videos/hyperventilation/
ctuna

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Yeah another year older and little slower and fatter. Reply with quote

Always a little wobbly and out of balance and weak the first few times out. It doesn't help to be a year older either. Also the conditions don't tend to be as filled in an even at the beginning of the year. Sinkin the board more , due to added mass, doesn't help either. But doing some cross training and some other sports helps actually quite a bit.
beallmd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sergem has pretty well nailed early season with that video-especially at the beginning; struggling to get going, cold water, wearing yourself out etc. I have had a couple times where I was cold and worn out just getting out at Davy; you know 4 or 5 restarts while struggling with the kelp a couple times etc. Luckily it all gets much better. I agree with Iso the first few times are a throwaway-just part of it.

In response to Koogs; Joe Elliot of Def Leppard was asked about Def's lyrics. He said; "They are very deep and meaningless."
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: looking for Steve OT Reply with quote

Steve, did you get my PM? Just curious.
Sorry about the OT folks,

-Craig

swchandler wrote:
Sounds to me that the water must still be on the very cool side, at least around your local haunts. I remember the days back in the early 60s where a wetsuit was simply a short john without sleeves. While you had some buffer during the winter surfing season, the water in the very low 50s could offer quite a shock and adjustment. Boy, I'm much much happier with the quality of today's wetsuits.

Still though, if you're more seasonally oriented in the sport, there's always some adjustment curve. However, I think most days are often very different, as least on the coast, so there always seems to be this period needed to get settled and in the groove.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I did. I have to apologize for not getting back yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: