myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wetsuite Advice for new/old Bay Area Sailor
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alphabet

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Wetsuite Advice for new/old Bay Area Sailor Reply with quote

Hello Everybody,

Please advice on what kind of rubber I will need for sailing Davenport Waddell and Crissy.

I been away from the sport for eighteen years and have no idea what I will need to keep me warm. And also no idea if I can still do this??

The plan is to start sailing Crissy this month (April). If I get back up to speed I hope to be back in the waves by the summer. I'll probably also spend some time in delta.

Thanks Much!!!!!
jp5

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this on the Southwest forum. Lot's of people there sail at the places you mentioned.
geohaye

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(This message was moved and is now in the Southwest Forum.)

Alphabet, the truth is that windsurfing is more fun now than it was then(!), so get a warm suit and we're glad to have you back out there!

You will get a lot of different suggestions when you ask around. I would suggest erring on the side of getting a slightly warmer suit than some people recommend / are used to -- because you have not been sailing in a while and you don't want to let cold water discourage you.
bil7y

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: wetsuit Reply with quote

3mm x 2 is the most popular, I'd get a version with removable sleeves.
4mm x 3 is warmer and if you plan to traditional surf I'd go 4/3.
5/4 ansd 5/3 are surfing only around these parts/
human_catapult

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 5/4 is key for offseason stuff... winter storms and whatnot... but I'm finding it WAY too hot for the normal season. I'm having to jump off and let cold water in my suit in order to survive.

I think a good 4/3 is your best bet... but maybe a high quality 3/2 would be plenty warm for the bulk of the season.
victor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my next suit will be a 5/4. it is not much more expensive than a 4/3. 4/3 would be the minimum for crissy especially if you might be spending a lot of time in the water as opposed to standing up on your board and landing your turns.

i've used a 4/3 in the delta in the summer and wasn't uncomfortable. not sure how it would be with a 5/4.
NickyK

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: wetsuit 5.3! Reply with quote

I wouldn't get anything less than a 5.3 wetsuit.

Yes, for the Delta you should have a short wetsuit or something lighter. But if the majority of your days will be at Crissy, buy the warmest you can get including possibly a beanie!

Will see you out there!
Epenrose

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davenport & the coast are fine all year in a 4.3 mm.

I had a 2 plus hour spring swim in at Dillon a couple of years back, no hood, gloves or booties and was fine. More concerned about what was having a swim underneath me.

Switch to a 3.2mm at Crissy in the summer, short arm. If you surf it isn't a big deal. A lot at Crissy seem to over suit with all the rescue gear, apart from being run over by a tanker there isn't a place I couldn't swim in from in the bay, be it a long one.

As you seem to sail the coast you know that if you are in the remote areas you are on your own, Tuba, Palo and so on your chances of getting pulled out our slim. The day I broke a mast a mile and half off shore at Dillon USCG told people sorry no helo, boat in a few hrs. Dumped the sail and paddled in for 2 hrs 15 mins.

Delta, never even bothered with a suit.
diannesf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think it depends on if you are male or female. I can't tell by the name alphabet.

The one person who replied that you need a 5/3 is a woman. I am also a woman, and everyone I know of our gender wears as warm a suit as possible to sail at Crissy and the Coast. It's never less than a 5/3, because the water never really gets warm. Most also wear our hats as well, especially in the spring or in the evenings. If you've been away from the sport for quite a while, you may end up spending time in the water for the first few months. I would consider that.

The men seem to be just fine in 4/3 or so. Or even less, especially inside the bay (Coyote, Berkeley, etc.) But still on the Coast or Crissy, you'll see mostly really warm suits. So if you're a guy and get warm easily when you exercise, you'll probably want a 4/3.

Some people stay really warm just naturally, like Edward...but most people get cold at Crissy, especially in the spring. I agree about the Delta though...shorty or 3/2 or nothing.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5/3 at Crissy is a good call. Enpenrose is a freak of nature on many levels and seems to not be bothered by the cold like the rest of us so take his advice with a grain of salt.

I just went from a 4/3 to a 5/3 and the extra thickness is nice. Promotion makes a nice fleece lined beanie that is well worth the $20. If you are feeling a little reckless with your credit card, the Patagonia 3mm suit is universally praised down at the beach from people who are alway cold but it will set you back $500, but it does have a lifetime guarantee.

Glad to hear you are coming back into the sport. Don't get too phased by all the kiters on the water. It is a bit hard getting used to sailing around them but I find ignoring them altogether is the best strategy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: