myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Berkeley cam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andydavis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Berkeley cam Reply with quote

Do we know what's up with that most useful of all sites, Berkeleycam?
http://berkeleycam.net/

If we send the guy some money will he turn the cam on?
charlie12

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikes moveing to n.y.
i dont think the cams comeing back on
Sad
andydavis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: mike Reply with quote

Can we rent his apartment?
Sandman510

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thought he was moving to SCruz?
Anyway, Cal Sailing Club should get their act together and put a cam up
timwnitram

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinkin' the same thing, if the CAL sailing club would be willing to host the cam, I'm sure there's enough of us who would be willing to chip in. You know the best spot would be HS. Lordships. That would be sweet to have a cam there.
timwnitram

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I just called Hs Lordships and spoke to one of the managers there about the possibility of hosting a webcam from their building. Surprisingly, they seemed amicable to the idea (at least they didn't say no it's not possible). I was told to call back on Friday and talk to someone specific and they would bubble it up to "Corporate" for consideration.

Anyone have suggestions?

-Tim
peterm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to pick up the phone, Tim. I suggest proposing:

No responsibility or work to be required on their part.

A single point of contact within the sailing community for them, to make communications easy and hassle-free.

This is a great opportunity to leverage their location and get free PR for them, both within the sailing community and the greater Bay Area.
- the web cam would likely be added to other webcam index pages in the area (a quick google showed several)
- efforts will be made to provide a link to http://www.hslordships.com/ on web cam pages "Webcam hosting courtesy of HS Lordship's Restaurant (link)". This should be doable on the iwindsurf "Cams" page that would provide the image from the restaurant.

Obviously, this would require a fellow sailor or two, ideally local to Berk, to step up, organize the effort, collect funds, get the equipment, set up the communications link, and solicit links from iwindsurf and other webcam sites.
chibichibi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems a wireless web cam could work if we had access to HS Lordships wireless network (assuming they have one). This would also assume you could get AC power from up to a roof mountable location. If not perhaps a solar panel wireless setup would work (see link below). I bet for between $250 - $500 or less you could get a camera with comparable controls and quality to the Crissy Explotorium cam. But installalation and network hook-up would be the challenge. You'd also have to mount the cam under a roof overhang or build a weatherproof housing if it was mounted up by the wind sensor. Be great to have 360 degree zoomable video and audio. I wonder how iWindsurf gets their data sent from that spot, must be wireless at HS Lordships or a cellular based wireless provider.

http://www.jakeludington.com/video_security/20071226_solar_powered_wireless_security_camera_-_diy_project.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: