myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Futura 101

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Futura 101 Reply with quote

Thinking about the Futura 101 for 5.5 to 6.5 winds. Pretty flat water mostly at Lopez Lake. I'm a advanced windsurfer but getting older. No more waves or bump sailing for me. Its to bad that most of the shops in so cal. are gone. No place to demo. Any input about this board????
thanks Tony
chibichibi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the predecessor to this board, the carve 101. i can only say good things about it. i am 195 and it's my goto board for average SF bay conditions, 20-25mph. with some effort it can be uphauled. i've sailed it with 5.0 - 7.5. very lively ride and not too harsh in chop. easy jibes and chop hops. it does become a "big" board in 25+ winds for sure, but then i switch to an 87l tabou. starboard makes quality product.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a freestyle clinic at Lake Isabella in early May, and we'll have some demo boards there.... if you can wait that long it may be a chance for you to demo some boards if you're willing to make the drive.

You can also try Captain Kirks or Xstreamline in San Pedro. I think Kirk has more demo stuff than XSL.

If you're ever up in the Bay Area, there are still shops here that will demo boards to you: Sunset Sailboards (me), Boardsports School, and Delta Windsurf.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
WNDZRFR

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Futura 101 Is The Bomb! Reply with quote

Smile Near the end of last season I was looking for a new board to replace an F2 Ride 277 along with an 88 Freewave Quatro (which sucked!). After talking to Big Winds about my sailing style - flat to bump & jump, unlimited speed and locations - mostly Berkeley and Crissy they talked me into the Futura 101. Man do they know their boards. I've sailed it in 4.8 to 6.2 and just can't believe how much fun this rocket is, it's like Windsurfing has been reborn and I've been sailing since '75. As the sail fills it pops right up on a plane (I weight 175) and takes off with no top end in sight. With the same meter sails there is nothing on the water that can touch it. Oh and if you like making huge high speed jibes its like butter! You can also make tight fast jibes in chop too. And whats so cool about it is its soo short yet plains in no time. Buy it you will have a smile on your face everytime you take it out!
dvCali

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Futura 101 Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
Thinking about the Futura 101 for 5.5 to 6.5 winds. Pretty flat water mostly at Lopez Lake. I'm a advanced windsurfer but getting older. No more waves or bump sailing for me. Its to bad that most of the shops in so cal. are gone. No place to demo. Any input about this board????
thanks Tony

If it was me, I would go with the Isonic 101, especially on a lake. It will give you a wider range than the Futura and will be as easy to sail (if not easier). I have a Is-111 as a light wind board in SF and I am still quite amazed at how easy it is to sail and controllable in chop ... but I am pretty sure you cannot go wrong with the Futura either!
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN,
I have the 93 liter wood version. The two things that "jump ouit" at you are the wieght-very light- and the ride-very smooth through chop. The 93 liter is very stable even when sclogging so I'm guessing the 101 is even better. My 93 liter just got wet for the first time today so I don't have much more imput.

Things I don't like. Fin is way too big-34 cm- and the footstraps are hard to adjust. But that is getting picky. I think it is a great board.

Coachg
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,
Thanks for the in put. Sounds like the board for me......Tony
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: