myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
TWITTER? Useful or idiotic?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geohaye

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coyotewindsurf, the iWindsurf Onsite Report is still alive! I leave them on occasion. I just left a "test" onsite report on the Coyote page right now.

All you do is:
make sure you're not on the "beta" website, and then go to the wind sensor's wind graph page, and on the left hand side, click the link "Post Onsite Report".

Coyote Point, for example:
http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=126&siteID=211

Swell City, for example:
http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=218&siteID=243

*the Onsite Reports don't work on the 'beta' website, yet. So if you're on the beta website, you need to click up top where it says "return to old system".

Picture 1.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  64.29 KB
 Viewed:  10314 Time(s)

Picture 1.png

Last edited by geohaye on Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:24 am; edited 2 times in total
victor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

technology gone haywire?

yeah, if we were meant to fly we would have wings.

is twitter ruining your life?

the bay area has a dozen sailing sites within short driving distance of each other. during the saason it is not at all unusual for it to be dead at one site and 4.5 at another within a half hour drive. back in the day we used to camp out at one site with our sails baking in the sun waiting for it to come up. the alternative was to make the 50 mile circomnavigation over three toll bridges often during afternoon rush hour traffic hoping it would be good somewhere else. widespread use of cell phones changed that. mobile email made it easier to network. twitter MAY make it even more convenient for those that can figure it out.

the rest of you can keep slogging your 14' sticks with the daggerboards and pin head sails. weeee! is that your grandmother's farmer john wetsuit?
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

victor wrote:
technology gone haywire?

yeah, if we were meant to fly we would have wings.

is twitter ruining your life?

the bay area has a dozen sailing sites within short driving distance of each other. during the saason it is not at all unusual for it to be dead at one site and 4.5 at another within a half hour drive. back in the day we used to camp out at one site with our sails baking in the sun waiting for it to come up. the alternative was to make the 50 mile circomnavigation over three toll bridges often during afternoon rush hour traffic hoping it would be good somewhere else. widespread use of cell phones changed that. mobile email made it easier to network. twitter MAY make it even more convenient for those that can figure it out.

the rest of you can keep slogging your 14' sticks with the daggerboards and pin head sails. weeee! is that your grandmother's farmer john wetsuit?

When my grandmother surfed, they didn't wear wetsuits. Laughing

I understand your plight, bay area traffic can be horrible.
human_catapult

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twitter might have been nice yesterday. Showed up at Coyote when the meters were reading 20 to find glassy water. What gives with that?

Mo, give us a tweet!
mogunn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geohaye wrote:
coyotewindsurf, the iWindsurf Onsite Report is still alive! I leave them on occasion. I just left a "test" onsite report on the Coyote page right now.

Thanks, George. I didn't see that feature.

mogunn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HC, you were either too late or too early.

A bunch of us were on the water around 2. It was good for an hour and a half then died completely for a while. By 5 it was gusting to 30.

victor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>Twitter might have been nice yesterday. Showed up at Coyote when the >meters were reading 20 to find glassy water.

case in point:
on my way to coyote yesterday got an onsite tweet saying it had died. i headed for crissy and got some runs in.

i was wondering what was up with the sensors down there, too. SFO was saying 24. haskins was dead.
jse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nealpar wrote:
jse wrote:
,,,Grouptweet,,,.

To each their own, as they say. Wink

I agree with your original point, it's an idiotic way to communicate:

"I'm eating breakfast"

"Taking a dump"

"I hate work"

A penny for your thoughts. In 240 characters or less...

However, it could work well for my purposes if I can rely on the technology. OSR's are only as good as the reporter, and who knows who is posting OSR's on IW. Besides, the interface is too slow and clunky to use on a mobile phone. However for my group of friends, think it works well, because a) I know where people are sailing and b) I know what person A means when they say 5.0.

Maybe it makes more sense when taken in the context of how we came up with this idea. We sail TI alot. TI can be a commitment, no matter where you're coming from. There's always traffic and the bridge tolls are not insignificant. I can't read the signs for TI when I'm sitting in my office in another county. But on a good day nothing beats it in the bay. Also, TI is the last place I'd sail alone, partly because of the serious trouble you can get into out there and partly because of the neighborhood.

So I'm hoping this works out.

PS. If you know me and want to join in, send me a PM.

Steve
SWE106

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another IT feature you don't really need, with hardly any added value besides taking up your time. What's wrong with calling, texting, talking, looking, real life experiences? Tweet all you want, but I don't see how that would add 1 single extra day to my sailing. Know the signs and tell-tails of when and where it is windy, get a lill more in touch, look more at the sky, the trees, the birds, the water, etc and look less at your screen; the more you do the latter the more you will be out a touch!
erogind

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coyotewindsurf wrote:
Some time ago iWindsurf, or perhaps their predecessor, had an onsite report feature.

I remember posts from Allen Zimmerman saying (to paraphrase), "Coyote's howlin'."
Sadly, Allen's gone.

Further paraphrasing Allen, he would say, "Coyote's Howlin'. Plenty of parking available." I miss my buddy Allen and the entertainment he provided on the beach and on the water.

erik
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: