myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
TWITTER? Useful or idiotic?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately for me, I'm totally protected from the whole Twitter craze.

I don't own a cellphone.
jse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWE106 wrote:
Another IT feature you don't really need, with hardly any added value besides taking up your time. What's wrong with calling, texting, talking, looking, real life experiences? Tweet all you want, but I don't see how that would add 1 single extra day to my sailing. Know the signs and tell-tails of when and where it is windy, get a lill more in touch, look more at the sky, the trees, the birds, the water, etc and look less at your screen; the more you do the latter the more you will be out a touch!

Well, looking and real life experiences are part and parcel to sailing no? You think I'm gonna drive across the bay without looking at my signs? And what's wrong with calling, texting and talking is that it takes too much time. I gotta call/text any number of people to let them know what I'm doing or ask them where they are. One tweet and i'm done. Takes about 15 seconds. It may not add a single extra day to my sailing, but I bet it will add couple of sailors an extra day each week.
victor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWE106 wrote:
Another IT feature you don't really need, with hardly any added value besides taking up your time. What's wrong with calling, texting, talking, looking, real life experiences? Tweet all you want, but I don't see how that would add 1 single extra day to my sailing. Know the signs and tell-tails of when and where it is windy, get a lill more in touch, look more at the sky, the trees, the birds, the water, etc and look less at your screen; the more you do the latter the more you will be out a touch!

be a ludite if you want.

we're doing all the above and there's still plenty of time to tweet. in fact, i have time left over because it eliminates texting and/or calling my buddies individually. no matter how good we are at reading the signs there is nothing like an on site report. i already owe one session to twitter.

there are a lot of things we don't NEED, probably most of what we have. you can live without an automobile but you would have a tough time sailing unless you lived at the beach. if sailing was only an option for waterfront property owners there would be even less of a market for equipment than there is now.

we use tools in order to make life easier and more enjoyable.

don't knock it until you try it.
chibichibi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jse"]Me and about 12 of my people setup a twitter account that reflects OSR's that we all post. The website is called Grouptweet. What you do is set up a single account and then everyone follows that account. Then when you get to the site, you can send a tweet to your group with the OSR. [quote="jse"]

i am very fond of twitter. I get all my news and related interest links from the people i follow. it's like one big search engine with pre-screened information that's specifically relevant to me. it can be a bit distracting at work. but there are apps to filter over-tweeters and better organize the onslaught of info.

windsurfings twitter accounts i follow:

@WindyNow
@windfinder
@boardsports

i think on-site tweets could be very powerful to bay area windsurfing tweeps like myself. it won't replace iwindsurf but the more info the better chance at finding a perfect site.

jse - what is your group tweet account name?

follow me @skylash on twitter
faradroka1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<secondcupofcoffeerant>

its amusing to see people POSTING in an online forum about the uselessness of technology.

perhaps they are using stone chisels and granite plates, then transporting said plates on back of Donkeys to the village square, where the Town Crier bellows out their complaints. Nearby at Ye Olde Starbucks, a druid of the TECK class hears these utterances and Magically Casts His Spell upon the Dell Inspiron Demon Device. Through elven runes carried along by Trickster Coyote, the mumbled yearnings of Luddites appear on these pages.

</secondcupofcoffeerant>
nealpar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faradroka1 wrote:

its amusing to see people POSTING in an online forum about the uselessness of technology.
</secondcupofcoffeerant>

It's also amusing to see HERD MENTALITY in action.

MOOOOO. TWEET TWEET. MOOOOO. Laughing Laughing Laughing
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given this goofiness about cellphones and tweeter, one wonders what folks did before this kind of nonsense?

Maybe super neediness is king today in the Bay area.

Seems to be some sort of herd type of concept that's somewhat light on real insight and understanding is establishing an edge today.

"Tell me what I need to know, and I'll blindly follow, because you're so cool and in tune".
victor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, so it's and LA vs. SF thing?

individuality vs community
jp5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
Given this goofiness about cellphones and tweeter, one wonders what folks did before this kind of nonsense?...

We used to drive up and down the coast while listening to the Doobie Brothers on 8 track tape. Don't you remember?
tsokat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chandler, if you think cell phones and twittering is goofy, check this new device out:

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/pattie_maes_demos_the_sixth_sense.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: