myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Lake Isabella access
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superkraut

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Lake Isabella access Reply with quote

this is serious! the Forest Service is poised to eliminate almost all motorized travel below the "max pool" water level (i.e. full lake) at Lake Isabella. With the lake very low and bound to stay that way for many years to come due to concerns over the structural integrity of both dams, this would mean camping and rigging 100s of yards away from the waters edge.
I attended last night a "public input" meeting with the Forest Service, who distributed vast quantities of maps pertaining to (5) different proposals they worked out (Alternatives 1 through 5), online at www.fs.fed.us/r5/sequoia/projects/ohv_route_designation_strategy/index.html
If on first perusal you jump at Alternative 2 as ideal, since it would leave things unchanged, be forewarned that things would not remain the same: there are laws on the books (un-enforced, but in place nonetheless) from Corps of Engineers days that there was to be no motorized travel below "max pool". If they were to adopt Alternative 2, we would be fined for driving to the water's edge.
This meeting was to solicit public input as mandated by Congress. They surely got an earful from the packed house, about restricting lake access in any way. Tina Terrell, our Sequoia Forest Supervisor, made clear to us, however, that a general uproar was not productive, that instead, we needed to state our wishes very specifically.
Please, all of you, write to comments-pacificsouthwest-sequoia@fs.fed.us that we cannot accept any of the alternatives currently offered; that we need to be able and drive down to the waters edge (wherever that may be at the moment) in the recreation areas at Auxiliary Dam and Old Isabella Road (the Ghetto), in order to recreate with our windsurfers and SUPs; these being healthful, social, and family-oriented pursuits which we have enjoyed at those sites for 20 years or more and would very much like to continue.
or something to that effect..
but, PLEASE, WRITE (and soon, because the public input period ends on Mar 31)
Eva
PS: please, pass this on to as many interested parties as possible!
PPS: on a different note: I asked the Ranger if the self-serve check-in was to be put back in service during the hight of the season, and received an emphatic NO. However, he told me, helpfully (?), that you can now purchase passes at the Army-Navy Surplus Store right next to the Isabella Supermarket. He suggested buying a handful of day-passes early in the season, so you don't have to bother on subsequent visits.
mogunn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

letter sent...

Please keep us updated on the situation.

mikecole

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eva,

Hope this works out... I sent an email and got an automated response indicating my letter was received. Thanks for the heads up... Hope to get to Isabella sometime this season to say hello.

Mike
jp5

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

email sent.

p.s.

Even if you don’t sail here please write. This type of thing has a habit of setting precedence and pretty soon your area may be affected.
alexw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Isabella Reply with quote

Eva,

I've been making the trip to the lake for over 25 years now, sometimes staying for several days. I can't imagine not being able to drive down to the water's edge anywhere on the lake that I want and sail in the warm mountain winds.

Needless to say, I've sent the email explaining this.

I have had the pleasure of talking to you several years ago -- hope to see you this season. Probably in May.

Alex Wendell
lfsk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also send an email directly to Ms Terrell at

tterrell@fs.fed.us

PLEASE, everyone, write, write, write!!!

Thanks
WindSapien

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this Eva. This is indeed a very serious situation. The popular consensus was that their mind was already made up to implement the 1979 Plan which would severely limit our access.This will be disastrous for not only windsurfing but for the community as a whole. I'm shocked that there isn't a much larger response to your posting and I am dissapointed that there were only four of us windsurfers at the meeting. Tina Terrell Forestry directer said without community response she will most likely adopt the 1979 Army Corps of Engineers plan . The established routes of entry will then be permanent . End of story. There are also some special interest groups with a collective clout and no real interest in the needs or impact on our community fiscally who are writing letters supporting these closures.The very survival of our town could be at stake . This would be a very hard blow to take given the already failing state of the economy. This is real. If we don't respond we have no one to blame but ourselves. Please write an e-mail and send it today. We only have until March 31, '09 to respond. Thanks ....WS

0104.jpg
 Description:
Good day at Lake Isabella.
 Filesize:  19.14 KB
 Viewed:  18457 Time(s)

0104.jpg

madmax7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: email Reply with quote

I sent my email today.

Hope this works.

Max
lfsk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who are these special interest groups and what is their deal? I myself have written 4 letters and I know of several others who have written also even though they did not post replies here.

If she's made up her mind already, as you say, is it all an exercise in futility? Do you think anything we do will affect the outcome? And why now? Do you know?
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are probably more letters, such as mine, not mentioned here, but it's a shame so few people showed up. "We", from sailors to industry, are woefully less organized than environmental causes. It often requires courts to inject some reality where they're concerned. My letter emphasized that WSers have been often recognized by several state and federal agencies as one of the most cooperative, self-policing recreational area user groups around. Maybe it would help to ask Gorge agencies such as the CGWA and the Portland USACE office, state parks which know and respect our reputation, and the many communities we work with to put in a good word. I doubt that would matter much, though, if they get the impression WE don't care. Four "doods in board shorts" don't carry much weight.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: