myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
how was THAT for a change?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SWE106

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: how was THAT for a change? Reply with quote

ahhhhh finally spring arrived with a bang: 3rd was on fire, big smooth rollers in the channel, my 81L twin with 4.2 ICON fully powered. tons of people out, all the regular faces! Glad to see we all made it thru winter!
rigatoni

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you have problems with the negative low tide? We ended up at Coyote in great 4.0-4.5 conditions figuring Third was a non-option. The Peninsula is definitely the call in these early NW winds. Crissy was unsailable.
DonORiordan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised there aren't a few more reports around. Today looked pretty epic. Sorry I missed it (I'm out for 3 more months after a recent fifth surgery on my knee, but expect me back in the Gorge or Maui come July 4 holiday proving its possible to wave-sail without an ACL and most of a meniscus), but even here in Sunnyvale it was honkin' windy.

Must have been awesome in the channel....so where are all the reports? Some of the guys I spoke to tonite reported being lit on 3.5/3.7 (though these guys aren't quite as big as our favorite Swede). Mikey came off the water after a session on 4.0 when it "really picked up". Derek (who always sails at least a sq meter bigger than he should) even had to rig down from 4.5 to 3.7. Ernie was apparently throwing loops sans abandon (or whatever the appropriate phrase is for Ernie's unique brand of craziness) on a 4.5 in the middle of the channel.

Ed reported dropping down a what felt like a 6+ foot wave face at one point (or was that 10 foot???)...happy out on his small wave board which hasn't seen action since Waddell last April), on a 3.5 rigged as tight as a nurses bedsheet. Was it that really that good today? I'll bet it was. Screw that 3 months doctors orders, I might have to come back sooner.....

D
kevinkan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was nice indeed! Arnie, I was also on 4.2! (probably should have been on 3.7... I'm about 40lbs lighter than you are)

The swell out in the channel seemed more round than peaky, so better for riding than for jumping. I've had better ramps here before, but the swell riding was really fun. Swell was head high or so for me (6ft tall).

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
benpfree1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed Davenport from like 1pm to 3pm. I was on a 4.5 but could have been 4.2. there were lots of lulls on the inside but outside was strong. I bet later on in the day the wind filled in more as the clouds blew out. Waves were shoulder high on the north break but somewhat mushy. Overall was fun. Third ave sounds like it was the right call.
-Ben
SWE106

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinkan wrote:
that was nice indeed! Arnie, I was also on 4.2! (probably should have been on 3.7... I'm about 40lbs lighter than you are)

The swell out in the channel seemed more round than peaky, so better for riding than for jumping. I've had better ramps here before, but the swell riding was really fun. Swell was head high or so for me (6ft tall).

Kevin, some call me the "tyson of the heavy weights": meaning I get away with smaller stuff than my size would indicate. But, tyson would be on a 4.7 when even I can't plane on a 5.6, and make it look windy! So if people ask me what sail I am on, I might fool 'em...lol...

Yep the swell was nice and round, I dare to say the biggest rollers were over head for me: 7+ft. But 6ft on average for sure!
ethurlow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: It was a great day at 3rd 4 sure Reply with quote

Yes, Ed and I had a good session.....I got out at ~2:30pm or 3pm (still enought water 100yds out) swell in the channel was great. It was a bit tough to keep our boards (my 75liter) on the water, especially when the clew string got loose once.

Will try to get to the coast today...looks good....time to sneak out and leave the laptop on in my cube.

Ernie
FredFX

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at shoreline yesterday and it was blowing in the 20s with gusts into the 30s. All my wrists hurt from getting catapulted so much from waterstarting. Some guy's mast flew 30 feet and broke his windshield. Fun day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: