myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Right of way Crissy Field
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seablind wrote:
Maybe we can get proactive here and persuade a windsurfer's non-windsurfing significant other to get out that digital video recorder and document these run-ins.

My quickest successes with solving employee misbehavior or product problems have come when I take this approach (after lesser tries fail) when I'm sure I'm right:
• Document the problem.
• PROVE the problem (e.g., numerous witnesses, hard data, video).
• Send (a copy of) the evidence to the CEO with a cover letter including the problem, a very specific solution s/he can act on, and the name and title of the official oversight agency you will contact on a specified date if not satisfied.

So far, that's a big "Ho, Hum" for a CEO. The clincher comes next, should coercion becom necessary:

• Include (a copy of) the actual letter you will send to the oversight agency, dated on that do or die date, so the CEO will know you mean business, have done your homework, and are on solid legal ground. Even moral grounds matter if their PR are at stake.

A Winnebago VP contritely phoned me the day they got my letter about a safety complaint they had blown off. My included letter to the NHTSA got their attention in hours and a new part installed within days.

A Goodyear 18-wheeler once pulled up to my driveway. The driver said "I don't know who you know, but I have four tires here marked "HOT HOT HOT RUSH RUSH RUSH HOT HOT HOT" and signed by the eastern seaboard sales chief.

VISA apologized in writing -- and paid me my long disputed amount plus three years of interest @ 19% per year -- after their legal department received a copy of my letter to whatever federal agency had the authority to fine them $11,000 for lying to customers, under the Fair Credit Billing and Credit Acts.

Now add to that another 25+ similar consumer battles resolved fully (about 27 cases) or partially (one case) in my favor … and zero losses. I love nailing these arrogant corporations (some much bigger than VISA), lawyers, federal agencies, international banks, police departments, colonels, and miscreant individuals to the wall with irrefutable proof, legal backing, logic, and if necessary, credible threats. And I haven’t had to pay a lawyer one cent yet.

You can get these tour boats out of your face if you try. They require licenses; are subject to city, state and federal laws and agencies; and pay some company plenty for liability insurance. You have a lot of leverage over them if you can prove they are behaving illegally, dangerously, recklessly, unsafely, etc. Their ROW comes with legal obligations.
jse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
(snip)

let alone deserving of yet more flak from Dianne and Steve Elliot. (Elliot flat libeled me in rec.w ...

(snip)

I don't know WTF you're talking about.

Steve
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jse wrote:
isobars wrote:
(snip) let alone deserving of yet more flak from Dianne and Steve Elliot. (Elliot flat libeled me in rec.w ...(snip)

I don't know WTF you're talking about.

Quoting from you on rec.w on June 15, 2008, pointed out to me by a friend who still visits there:

“[Mike Fick] still posts on iWindsurf often. Tends to get political and create huge threads of poeple yelling at each other about Bush, Obama, Osama, Iraq, Iran, etc... Also, his windsurfing related posts are just as opinionated as his political posts. It's either myway or the hiway with him. You know,
gybe the way he does or you're a fool. If you put your back foot first in
the strap your an idiot. Anyone who sails the gorge in a straight line
ought to be shot. Endless rants about his 8 hour sessions.”

I get political on political threads started by others, just as on rec.w years ago. No one starts yelling (i.e., baseless personal attacks) until someone posts anything from the conservative side of the fence, and 99% of the attacks comes from the left. (Very mild example: In response to Mulholland quoting Woodrow Wilson in this forum, you responded “every one of [your posts is] nothing more than right-wing spew”.) I offer WSing technique advice when people ask for it, and always as viable alternatives, not “my way or the highway” or “the only way”, or “you’re a fool otherwise”. I have very explicitly and very often made it crystal clear that BFF, my jibe tips, etc. are absolutely alternative, not exclusionary, techniques. My only objection to straight line sailing is when people doing it in waves, including Gorge swell, cut wave/swell riders off. And not only have I never implied I can do anything close to 8-hour sessions, but I have denied it many times in response to accusations such as yours.

Mike

Last edited by isobars on Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total
windsurfer7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I get worried at Crissy field is when there is a fairy coming up behind me.
mogunn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
(Elliot flat libeled me in rec.w

Victim card played...

isobars wrote:
Quoting from you on rec.w on June 15, 2008, pointed out to me by a friend who still visits there:

Iso's Fictionary plonk tool played...

isobars wrote:
“[Mike Fick] still posts on iWindsurf often. Tends to get political and create huge threads of poeple yelling at each other about Bush, Obama, Osama, Iraq, Iran, etc... Also, his windsurfing related posts are just as opinionated as his political posts. It's either myway or the hiway with him. You know,
gybe the way he does or you're a fool. If you put your back foot first in
the strap your an idiot. Anyone who sails the gorge in a straight line
ought to be shot. Endless rants about his 8 hour sessions.”

Iso's crap sandwich...

Show me the libel...please

swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really hoping mo that you would post here on this thread.

Absolutely priceless!

I know I wasn't going to post here again on this thread, but what can I say? Mo's talent and focus is so insightful, artistic and beautifully direct. I just couldn't refuse to offer some sort of suitable compliment.
koogzah

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windsurfer7 wrote:
The only time I get worried at Crissy field is when there is a fairy coming up behind me.

What a witty and tasteful comment! Thanks so much.
windoggi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koogzah wrote:
windsurfer7 wrote:

What a witty and tasteful comment! Thanks so much.

Really...he better hope its not a BIG fairy.

windoggi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....not that theres anyting wrong with that.
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Right of way Crissy Field Reply with quote

yancek wrote:

Could someone post the rules, or point to where the rules are? Nearly got ran over today assuming right of way over a tourist boat that first tried to run me over then when I yielded slowed down and dunked me in its wake. I assumed the behaviour must have been due to the captain being a jackass, or wanting to show his clients a good time by dunking a windsurfer, or he had the right of way anyways or a combination of these factors.

Sailing vessels crossing: vessel on starboard has right of way

Sailing vessels on the same tack
* overcoming vessel must give right of way
* downwind vessel has right of way

Power boat and sailing vessel: Sailing vessel HAS RIGHT OF WAY

Commercial ship vs sailing vessel: sailing vessel MUST stay clear

Now .. at Crissy my main problems have been with small power vessels and Kites. With Kites I hold my ground (hey, they might finally learn what starboard is), but with power boats I gave up long ago, I just stay clear as much as I can (even if there are a number of power boats at Crissy that should give you right of way)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: