myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
NPS wants to ban Kitesurfing to save the Plover
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, I guess I thought it was clear that only a few kiters do that thing with the heel drag during/after the launch. Evidently, enough do so because I seem to remember seeing that nearly every time I've paid attn to a group of kiters in many venues here in FL. There seems to be at least one set of hell ruts... Plovers' nests are not that easy to spot, BTW. Just a shallow depression and a couple of eggs or hatchlings. They are nearly invisible to those that aren't naturalists or avid bird watchers Not the stereotypical birds' nests.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsz wrote:
jingebritsen wrote:
... The "I'm so cool doing this, everyone should love me," vibe doesn't come thru clear to every person on the beach.

I'm just glad that there are enough intelligent police and the like in some places to differentiate between kiters and windsurfers. Seen plenty of places where the kiting folk ruin it for everyone.

I've read some biased opinions of kiters before but this one really takes the cake. ... I don't deny that this situation never happens but it is very rare.

I wish it were, but $#!++y behavior not that rare in the Gorge. The large handful of miscreant kiters are pissing off a lot of people, including some authorities. Repeated big air in the launch zone and in extremely crowded sailing zones, attacking WSers with intent to harm, putting bystanders in the hospital, refusing to obey authorities, generally acting like spoiled brats ... it's going to cost them some day if peer pressure doesn't stifle it.

Mike
Wind.Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bird loving idiots - who gives a sh** about the plovers - really?!?! WTF. Give me a break...stay out of my life...if I want to kite, I will kite - you can go F yourself.

And for those windsurfers who think kiters are punks/trying to be cool/attention mongrels...you're right on all counts! don't worry though, you all join us sooner or later and realize how much cooler kiting is!
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
I'm sorry, I guess I thought it was clear that only a few kiters do that thing with the heel drag during/after the launch. Evidently, enough do so because I seem to remember seeing that nearly every time I've paid attn to a group of kiters in many venues here in FL. There seems to be at least one set of hell ruts... Plovers' nests are not that easy to spot, BTW. Just a shallow depression and a couple of eggs or hatchlings. They are nearly invisible to those that aren't naturalists or avid bird watchers Not the stereotypical birds' nests.

I thought you were clear. Anyone who has windsurfed with kiters knows that it only takes one irresponsible/obnoxious or otherwise incompetent kiter to make a mess of things, despite the presence of many other kiters being considerate and safe. The "footprint of badness" that a kite can cause is much larger than that for a windsurfer.

sincerely,

another environmental whacko

Wind.Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah puffin - windsurfers have never had/caused an accident. I've seen plenty of windsurfers showboating in a swim area with a high speed jibe - barely missing other windsurfers and swimmers...the "footprint of badness" is equal
colorit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it. Back in the 70's it was the 16 to 24 year olds terrorizing the "mature" skiers on the slopes with their "Hot Dogging" moves. But it was younger skiers annoying older skiers. Then snowboarding came around. The younger crowd moved to boards and terrorized the older skiers with their skidding the snow down to ice and jumps and 'Jibbing". In the early 90's as a snowboard rep I would explain the situation with the phrase, " Same Hormones, Different Sport". Meaning that irrespsonsibility is usually a function of youth that is eventually grown out of. It's seemed easy for the mature skiing crowd to demonize snowboarding at the time, but really it was just the generational difference between the participants. Now with the advent of Kitesurfing it the same situation repeating itself again. Typical Windsurfer is 40 + years old. Typical Kiter is under 30, so we're back to same hormones, different sport situation all over again.
Based on a recent article in the Island Free Press from the Outer Banks it looks like the Cape Cod decision might affect kiting on the NPS beaches of Hatteras Island. What we have is an enviro-wacko driven decision based on some grad students thesis from the 80's well before kitesurfing existed affecting the recreational choices of Americans at their own National Seashores. Instead of kiters and windsurfers calling each other names, maybe kiters and windsurfers should team up and double the pressure on the feel good environmentalists who seem to think we'd all be better off if we got our exercise indoors in an un air-conditioned warehouse instead of enjoying our national parks and outdoors. I think that it is possible to share the environment in a reasonable fashion that doesn't result in outright bans of human presence in the outdoors.
dsz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been windsurfing in Hatteras for over 20 years and now kiting mostly, I think both factions seem to get along quite well there. Most kiters stay offshore of Canadian Hole and windsurfers stay away from KP for the most part - as it should be I guess. When I do encounter a windsurfer in the Sound most of the time it is a friendly wave and smile, both enjoying the experience.

I have been to the Gorge Event Site and I think both parties can be guilty of showboating too close to shore there.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsz wrote:
I have been to the Gorge Event Site and I think both parties can be guilty of showboating too close to shore there.

There's showboating, there's reckless endangerment, and there's outright, deliberate assault with a deadly weapon. Even though I pretty much avoid the corridor these days -- simply too damn crowded -- I've still seen kiters do all three, but seen WSers do only the first two.

Mike
dsz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colorit wrote:
Funny those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it. Back in the 70's it was the 16 to 24 year olds terrorizing the "mature" skiers on the slopes with their "Hot Dogging" moves. But it was younger skiers annoying older skiers. Then snowboarding came around. The younger crowd moved to boards and terrorized the older skiers with their skidding the snow down to ice and jumps and 'Jibbing". In the early 90's as a snowboard rep I would explain the situation with the phrase, " Same Hormones, Different Sport". Meaning that irrespsonsibility is usually a function of youth that is eventually grown out of. It's seemed easy for the mature skiing crowd to demonize snowboarding at the time, but really it was just the generational difference between the participants. Now with the advent of Kitesurfing it the same situation repeating itself again. Typical Windsurfer is 40 + years old. Typical Kiter is under 30, so we're back to same hormones, different sport situation all over again.
Based on a recent article in the Island Free Press from the Outer Banks it looks like the Cape Cod decision might affect kiting on the NPS beaches of Hatteras Island. What we have is an enviro-wacko driven decision based on some grad students thesis from the 80's well before kitesurfing existed affecting the recreational choices of Americans at their own National Seashores. Instead of kiters and windsurfers calling each other names, maybe kiters and windsurfers should team up and double the pressure on the feel good environmentalists who seem to think we'd all be better off if we got our exercise indoors in an un air-conditioned warehouse instead of enjoying our national parks and outdoors. I think that it is possible to share the environment in a reasonable fashion that doesn't result in outright bans of human presence in the outdoors.

Last year there were Plover beach bans all up and down Hatteras Island. For the first time jeep access was denied at key points, even Cape Point was closed so fisherman couldn't even get out there let alaone the water sports crewe. Huge out cry from not only kiters and windsurfers but even more from the fishing lobby. It will be interesting to see what happens in the future. Go to the Dare Country website for more info on this very serious access threatening action which is tough on the Hatteras tourist fishing industry.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who gives a crap about our eco-system? Everyone likes breathing, using high tech pharma, and enjoying the wide open spaces of the great outdoors, right? Science is a funny thing. One may find out in the future that plover eggs may cure aging. Oh no, we've got too many "who gives a crap" types that love to plow up all parts of our eco-system to put in a parking lot, already.

Shoot, the greater part of our oxygen comes from the ocean. Scientists have yet to figure out all of just how that works. Yet we humans keep dumping our toxins into all the high seas, rivers and lakes. Another part of our O2 comes from trees, look what we've done there. Let's just clear cut the planet and shiite extra hard in our local kite sailing launch. You don't care about that, right? There are some ginormous cesspools in NC on the Smithfield Farms properties that are full of pig excrement, up river from the Pamlico Sound, maybe all kiters that don't care about nature oughta go kite in that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: